_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Armor then figures then structures?
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 111 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:02 AM UTC
Just wondering, how do most of you build? Do you build the Armor first then build the figures and paint both together then build the structures (buildings, trees, etc..) or do you build the armor then at the same time paint the figures?

Just curious.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:11 AM UTC
I start with my layout. I sketch what I think I want and then build the vehicle. Once I have the hull built, I place the vehicle on the diorama base and see where it line up with my plan. I then get a little assembly line going. Do some vehicle, do some structure, do some diorama. After all that is done, I do the figures.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 12:59 PM UTC
I kind of do things all at once depending on how far I can work on a given element. First, I sketch out the display, then work on the vehicle(s) until I reach the end of a subassembly stage where I have to let things sit for a bit. Then, while the vehicles have to sit idle, I tinker with the any major display elements until I reach a point where I have to set them aside, and then I work on the figures. This way, I can work on the interaction of all of the dio's elements as it's being worked up. That way, any mistakes made in the initial planning can be adjusted until a solution is found. This method also helps me fiddle with the layout and see if there might be a better way to set things up than I had planned. Yes, this method sounds kind of confused, but it works for me, so I guess it's not too bad.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 01:18 PM UTC
I do it based on the project. If I know the project is going to include a diorama I plan it all out and once construction starts its an "As Time Allows" deal. If paint is drying then I move on to another step. I also keep similar processes together, cutting/ gluing/ pouring plaster/resin.

Other ones have been typeical AFV, Figures, diorama.
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 111 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:14 PM UTC
Slodder, that is good to hear. I do the same thing with letting things dry. If I have nothing to do as it is all drying, I will work on painting my figures. I always make sure I have one ready to paint.

I do my base and all my structures last.
 _GOTOTOP