_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Airbrush?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:13 AM UTC
I am planning to buy an airbrush but I don't know how to use it. Give me some tips about it like how to clean it, spraying distance, etc.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:53 AM UTC
What kind of airbrush? What kind of paint?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What kind of airbrush? What kind of paint?

Paint? Enamel for sure

for the Airbrush, I don't know what kind is it. Just give me some general tips for all kinds of airbrush
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:04 AM UTC
Quite a question you have there ....each airbrush is different and I think the only way to find out what you can do with yours is practice....I have just bought a new Tamiya HG Superfine...and I'm still experimenting with it ...with this brush I can spray a line like as if I were using a pen ....I can actually spray a rivit head!!...Some tricks I use are 1) thin your paint alot!!.... I mix my paint to thinner ratios at almost 30%paint to 70% thinner..2).I use mostly Tamiya and Gunze paints and I clean out my brush with Windex ...This brush is so easy to clean just fill the cup and spray it through,make it back wash a few times by placing your finger on the tip...a little q-tip for the nozzel (don't forget to pull your needle back before doing this because it is so fine it might get bent just from the q-tip. I take it apart only once and a while ...3) You are better to go over the same area 10 times with thin coats than to try and cover everything with one big swoop..My airbrush I use it almost closed completely (just a little bit of paint coming out at a time)and I begin to see a color change after 3 or four passes...you can get some real nice effects by building up more and less paint in different areas of the model ...4) you can play with the distances that you spray from....when I do a mist , I'm almost 8 to ten inches away from my kit ...when trying to paint a rivit... well ...you know what I mean .. 5) PRACTICE......PRACTICE .....PRACTICE!!!!...that is the biggest secret to the whole thing .....I hope this helps you out a bit and good luck..

Rick
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:07 AM UTC
To expand on thebears tip of practice - practice on the material you will be painting.
Cardboard and paper absorbe paint differently than plastic. You may mix what looks good on paper practice but when you spary plastic its too thin.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quite a question you have there ....each airbrush is different and I think the only way to find out what you can do with yours is practice....I have just bought a new Tamiya HG Superfine...and I'm still experimenting with it ...with this brush I can spray a line like as if I were using a pen ....I can actually spray a rivit head!!...Some tricks I use are 1) thin your paint alot!!.... I mix my paint to thinner ratios at almost 30%paint to 70% thinner..2).I use mostly Tamiya and Gunze paints and I clean out my brush with Windex ...This brush is so easy to clean just fill the cup and spray it through,make it back wash a few times by placing your finger on the tip...a little q-tip for the nozzel (don't forget to pull your needle back before doing this because it is so fine it might get bent just from the q-tip. I take it apart only once and a while ...3) You are better to go over the same area 10 times with thin coats than to try and cover everything with one big swoop..My airbrush I use it almost closed completely (just a little bit of paint coming out at a time)and I begin to see a color change after 3 or four passes...you can get some real nice effects by building up more and less paint in different areas of the model ...4) you can play with the distances that you spray from....when I do a mist , I'm almost 8 to ten inches away from my kit ...when trying to paint a rivit... well ...you know what I mean .. 5) PRACTICE......PRACTICE .....PRACTICE!!!!...that is the biggest secret to the whole thing .....I hope this helps you out a bit and good luck..

Rick

Thanks a lot! It is proven to be quite useful. This week I buy one. Do airbrushes make bubbles like spray cans? I hate those
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 142 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 11:29 PM UTC
Not wishing to hijack this thread on purpose but with regard to quantities of paint to use. Could someone give a rough quantity (ml) of how much is required to apply a coating to say, for example, a Hunting Tiger, 1/35th scale?
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 05:59 AM UTC
First of all to answer shonen_red's question well it has never happened to me but like I said I spray very little paint at one time so little that you can't see any fume when I paint ..Still use a mask just in case ! As for how much paint I use ....not much !! it took me just 2 cup fulls (the little cup on top of my airbrush)to paint my Karl and that was paint that was thinned to about 70%thinner and 30% paint ..so it really doesn't take much...If you paint with your airbrush wide open like a spray can well that is a different story..

Rick
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 564 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
If you haven't gotten an airbrush yet, seriously consider an Iwata Eclipse. This is an excellent airbrush, and is very affordable. Try bear-air or dixie art, they both have great websites and great service.

I have used Aztek and Badger brushes, but the Iwata towers above either of them. I still have the Badger, but I only use it for non-detail work.

HTH,

Scott

PS OH yeah, I agree with the other guys here. As far as how to use the airbrush, there is NO substitute for practice. But as that isn't very specific, here are some basics that I hope will really help you:

- Use new paint whenever possible.
- Filter your paint if there is ANY clumping.
- Mix enamels to about 60/40 to start, you want a consistency like skim milk.
- If you get an Iwata, start your PSI at around 15 -20 PSI. Other brushes start at 25 -30 PSI.
- If your paint "spiders," you need to reduce your pressure and/or back away from the surface a little bit. You may have your mixture a little to thin as well.
- If your brush "spits" or if the brush sprays "pebbled" paint your mixture is too thick or your pressure is too low.

I hope this helps...

Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 12:14 PM UTC
Think twice before you order from abroad though. Some online stores might sell them cheap but customs takes a big bite from taxes. I paid 1/3 of the AB's tag price as tax when I got my Aztek 4709 from HK
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Think twice before you order from abroad though. Some online stores might sell them cheap but customs takes a big bite from taxes. I paid 1/3 of the AB's tag price as tax when I got my Aztek 4709 from HK

I just saw the airbrush in a store locally. (You know National Bookstore right). It sells the airbrush kit for P1000 only. In US $ it would be $20.
 _GOTOTOP