_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How to remove resin forming block
droseman
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 09:14 PM UTC
Hi,

I have decided to fit some upgraded ACES ejection seats into my Revell F-22 Raptor, but the come on a big block of resin which clearly is not part of the seat. Its convenient as a holding popint for painting, but when it comes to fitting, what is a good clean way of removing it?

--dave
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 09:51 PM UTC
Depending upon the size of the casting block and the fragility of the part, I do one of two things:
1. Score either side of the block several times and simply snap it off.
2. Use the rotary saw attachment on the Dremel. Outside of course.

I then wet sand the surface flat with 240 (or finer) wet/dry sandpaper on a piece of granite.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 12:03 AM UTC
When sanding, use water. It'll sand smoother and keeps the resulting resin dust from getting airborne.

Sidecutters are also handy for cutting off excess pour blocks, but don't go too near the part itself (depending on the robustness of the component), as the cutters might shatter the resin.
A small jeweler's saw can also be useful, as well as hobby knife saw blades.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 12:11 AM UTC
Razor saw blades are available for Xacto type knives, for larges blocks buy a proper razor saw, I have a couple including this one from UMM which I recommend highly. To avoid resin dust I constantly dip it in a jar of water.The dust clumps on the blade and fall away when redipped. I would be very careful of the score and snap method some resins are more brittle than others.
droseman
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 12:40 AM UTC
I had already eliminated the snapping off method since the block of resin is a good 5 sqmm, but I didn't have a dremel attachment for that as 18bravo recommended.

I think that the razor saw is the way forward, but your link was in the US, would this one do?

--dave
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 01:07 AM UTC
I'm sure that would work too Dave, I just prefer the UMM one out of the $ razor saws I have.
 _GOTOTOP