_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Making decals?
harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 613 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:45 AM UTC
Hi everyone
I would like to make my own decals using either this paper or this paper. So my first question is, which paper would be better to use? Also would I need any solutions or anything to cover the printed designs with, or anything like that? Thanks for your help. Nick
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 03:49 AM UTC
Nick,

I've done a few decals in the past, so I'm certainly not an expert. The paper choices you've linked should work just fine. I have an older HP inkjet printer and once I printed the decals and let them fully dry, I sprayed Testor's Decal Bonder (#9200) to seal the ink/paper. I'd really like to find a local source for decal paper that can be used on a color laser printer...I've got a really nice HP I want to use.

The first choice you linked, in their ad, tells you that they recommend using the Microscale Liquid Decal Film (their #127). I'm pretty sure it's more or less the same thing.

If you get the Experts-Choice paper, I'd get the Microscale too. A friend did up a partial sheet for me using an ALPS printer and he recommended the Microscale stuff too.

Mike
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 07:22 AM UTC
Hi Mike

Quoted Text

The first choice you linked, in their ad, tells you that they recommend using the Microscale Liquid Decal Film (their #127

WOOPS, I ought to learn to read things more thoroughly ! Thanks for your help, I think I probably will get the 'Experts Choice' and also get me some Microscale Liquid Decal Film then!!! Cheers, Nick
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 - 03:25 PM UTC
Nick,

Let me know how that paper works out. I'll also need to check and see if they have the paper for a laser....if so, I may drop them a line.

Mike
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 06:39 AM UTC
Hi Mike
I probably wont be able to use it for a couple of weeks yet but when I get it Ill let you know what its like. Nick
 _GOTOTOP