_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
BUILDING 1/35 WOODEN STRUCTURES
desertfox42
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 08:10 PM UTC
Not being a very accomplished scratch-builder of any type of building, barn, or structure in general, am looking for input on how to go about the task.
Below are photos of the Wip Molen built by Mr. Blomgren. I am attempting to build something similar and really have not a clue as to how I should begin. I have in my possession many and varied types of Basswood for this project, including the wooden exterior in wooden clapboard sheet. From some of the pictures there appears to be a realistic frame work inside the upper portion of this ancient Dutch Wip Molen.
Is it possible to find plans for this structure....both top and lower portion? Also, the windows and doors........can I possibly find them in 1/32 scale still look "to scale".
Actually, if I had access to any plans of 1/35 structures from some of you who are familiar with this process it would be great........and maybe some technique ideas on measuring and cutting to fit such small scale "lumber" would help as well.
I just do not know where to begin.
Regards, Robert

[
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:02 AM UTC
Thin cardboard like breakfast cereal boxes is where I would start.
If you don't have plans then I would experiment on paper. I would start by drawing basic shapes of sub-assemblies. Break it down into pieces and experiement . I would have a figure in the scale you want at hand to 'test' the size. Use images like these and roughly estimate the size of things. You know the figures are 1/35th scale and the men are approx. 6' tall, that draws you to a close size for the doors. Then use that measurement to guage the width. Then you progress on and on.
Once you get a good cardboard version take measurements form that and then go to wood.

Just remember - the cardboard is thinner than the wood so take thickness into account when you change over.
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:11 AM UTC
Hello,

First of all, please take a look here: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/habs_haer/hhquery.html
is a historical buildings section of Library of Congress, you can finds here a lot of scale drawings of historial USA buildings. you can find here every measure of the building.
If you want make your first building I could advise you that take a very simple dessing: four walls and a roof.
i
n buildings &ruins section have a lot of samples about how making a house.

hope that this can help
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 3,829 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 01:19 AM UTC
hey there, nice to hear others building in wood . I suggest you ask this Q on kitmaker.benelux site, (I would post if you prefere (just Pm me) )
there are a lot of Dutch people there, and I'm sure some will know links to various sites of windmills en such things.

I just start with building , keeping in mind I divide the real measures into 1/35 scale, and as long as you got enough imagination, every size works (what I mean is, a door isn't always 6",nor are doors and other things, so a mm or2 bigger or smaller in your1/35 scale work doesn't really matter.

greetz
 _GOTOTOP