_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How many keep a log Book
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 01:10 AM UTC
What I mean is a written record of model date built what type and color of paint used especially if a "custom " blend.

Me I am starting one cause I don't remember if I used MM green Dark green or some other color on some old builds that I want to touch up.

Any one use this idea?

Thanks
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 01:38 AM UTC
Great idea, and yes, I have used this practice throughout my building career...good records only benefit you in all areas in the long run.

I go the extra step and place a clear binder envelope with each model entry, three ring binder style, to hold the specific kits instruction sheet, and extra decals...I also assign a specific number to each entry, to cross reference a corresponding number on the specific kit box (for spare/extra parts), in case another modeler is hunting a specific part that might be missing or damaged in their build of the same kit...
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 04:51 AM UTC
When I do review builds I make notes on the kits instruction sheets. Generally the instructions are right there in front of you...jot it down before you forget to "log it" in a separate book. I note any problem areas in red so that I can include the step and part numbers of issue in my review. Keeping the info in one spot makes better sense to me, I keep the instructions to about 99% of the kits I build, having a separate "logbook" just adds to the clutter and something else to keep track of.

It's also easy to make copies of the instructions to pass along the issues you found and the color choices/source you used. Remember KISS...keep it simple and seamless.

Also, now I am starting to scan those instructions into my computer and keep them in a folder with the pictures of the build...in progress and complete. This makes sharing the info easier via email.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 05:05 AM UTC
I sort of do. I keep a binder of projects that I have completed. Every time I finish a project I put in a new 'page' I get the seethrough sleeves and slip in the intructsion, any notes, any special technique or process in it. I also shoot some photos and include them.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 01:58 AM UTC
Great ideas.

I am starting one for the mentioned reason of not remembering what color or type of paint used.

Thanks all
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 09:50 AM UTC
I keep a paint "receipe book". As I read magazines or books and come across a convincing finish, I'll jot it down in the book for future reference.

My log book tends to be my blogs, both my personal one on blogspot and the WIP theads on HF.
Delbert
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hello all..

I keep several "log" books.. notebooks I can add paper to as needed..

the main one is my painting notes... the subject. what I did each step of painting and weathering and how it came out.. you learn a lot from past mistakes.. Its the best way to remember what paint or mix you used on what model...

I keep another filled with techniques i've printed or written down. and such.. and another with general model building notes.

scj1014
Visit this Community
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 01:22 PM UTC
I have never even considered the idea of a build log book for modelling. What a great idea!

Strange that I never thought of it, as I kept a journal of hunts and hikes for years detailing where I was, what game I saw, weather, etc. I also keep a log book for reloading data and ammunition performance and accuracy.

Maybe its because I always took reloading and hunting/hiking as serious pursuits and just considered building models as a fun diversion.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 01:50 PM UTC
Try it does not cost more then a .50 book and a pen both which be on hand.

Or splurge and go whole hog invest in a $2.00 book and notebook paper ,total about $3.00.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 06:09 PM UTC
I do Jeff.
I keep a little notebook with what paints I used for a model's camo. When I want to do another vehicle from that country I just go back to the notebook. I usually test many colors and combos before I arrive on the colors that work for a vehicle. With 20-something greens and a dozen tans in the paint drawer, I would never remember which I used 4 kits ago!
I also write down airbrush ratios for each color of paint. No reason making the same mistake twice!
Best,
Matt
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 09:55 PM UTC
Also helps when we get a little older and can't remember all those paint ratios from years ago neither.
Good one Matt.
 _GOTOTOP