_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
My model building work area. Lets see yours!
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 04:16 PM UTC
I love to see other peoples building areas. I know these threads pop up from time to time but I never get tired of them.

I completed another Army PCS move in October. Our house has a fourth finished room in the basement that my wife and are sharing. She does scrapbooking on one side, and I build models on the other.

Over the last several months, I have gradually got things unpacked and organized. I finished my first model in several years in this room a couple of nights ago. I hope to start cranking out 2 to 3 models a month for a few months. The plastic containers that you see in the right corner with kits in them that have been 75% to 90% assembled. They mostly just need to be painted/weathered. So, I think 2 to 3 a month is doable until my preassembled "stash" is finished.

Here it is:

The cabinets are "assembly required" items from Lowes/Home Depot. The backwall is pegboard. There are 4 halogen lights arrayed across the bottom of the cabinets with the wiring running up behind the pegboard. Visible in the right corner is the stack of plastic storage containers that has the mostly assembled kits in them.

This is the left side of my half of the room. The cabinet unit is another "assembly required" item from Lowes/Home Depot. Also visible is 98% of my model stash. I have about 10 or 12 other kits still boxed up.

Close up of the model stash.

This is the right half of my side of the room. The table is a small craft table from Hobby Lobby that my wife decided she wasn't going to use. This table, obviously, is used for my airbrushing. The compressor is a Campbell-Hausfeld from Walmart. It is a fantastic compressor. I only wish the compressor was a little quiter.

captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 04:34 PM UTC
Brent: Heare is an after shot of my main work area.

This other shot is a close-up of the befor cleaning.

The whole thing is messed up again.

I have a question for you/ I've noticed that most people have more than one of the same models in thier"stash" why?
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 05:15 PM UTC
Here's mine...it's a bit (little) different now but still the same layout.

More can be seen here and the following page.

Great rooms guys,
Joe
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:08 PM UTC
Dang mother....That is a great set-up.

Anthony...Fire your housekeeper. Actually, clutter is symbol of progress...
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 07:47 PM UTC
I started with a modeling room in our largest spare room. Then my daughter was born and I got kicked out of that room. Moved into the second spare room, but got kicked out of that one, when my son was born. Did a little modeling in the kitchen, but not for long. Had to move all my stuff before dinner
So now I have a large desk in the living room yes, my wife actually alows me to do my thing in the living room Not spray work though, that takes place outside.

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 01:55 AM UTC
Nice work and storage area,Your stash looks like my local hobby shop,I know lots of us accumulate lots of kits,but why do you have so many duplicate kits like dragon-wagon,famo,m2,merkava why would you need two of each

just wondering

Quoted Text

I love to see other peoples building areas. I know these threads pop up from time to time but I never get tired of them.

I completed another Army PCS move in October. Our house has a fourth finished room in the basement that my wife and are sharing. She does scrapbooking on one side, and I build models on the other.

Over the last several months, I have gradually got things unpacked and organized. I finished my first model in several years in this room a couple of nights ago. I hope to start cranking out 2 to 3 models a month for a few months. The plastic containers that you see in the right corner with kits in them that have been 75% to 90% assembled. They mostly just need to be painted/weathered. So, I think 2 to 3 a month is doable until my preassembled "stash" is finished.

Here it is:

The cabinets are "assembly required" items from Lowes/Home Depot. The backwall is pegboard. There are 4 halogen lights arrayed across the bottom of the cabinets with the wiring running up behind the pegboard. Visible in the right corner is the stack of plastic storage containers that has the mostly assembled kits in them.

This is the left side of my half of the room. The cabinet unit is another "assembly required" item from Lowes/Home Depot. Also visible is 98% of my model stash. I have about 10 or 12 other kits still boxed up.

Close up of the model stash.

This is the right half of my side of the room. The table is a small craft table from Hobby Lobby that my wife decided she wasn't going to use. This table, obviously, is used for my airbrushing. The compressor is a Campbell-Hausfeld from Walmart. It is a fantastic compressor. I only wish the compressor was a little quiter.

sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 03:02 AM UTC
The duplicate Dragon Wagons and Famo's are a result of me buying one of each for myself initially. Then, a friend of mine decided he wasn't going to build armor anymore. So, he sold me a stash of kits for $200.00. Another Famo and Dragon Wagon was part of that stash.

I have two Tamiya M8 armored cars because: I bought one for myself when it was first released. The second was part of the kit collection I bought from the friend mentioned previously.

I have two Tamiya Steyr german cars because because I broke a couple of pieces in the first kit and bought a second kit to scavenge parts from.

I have two Merkava's because: I bought one for myself when it first came out. Purchased the second from a club aquiantance for $9.00. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

I have multiple Hummers because I've bought conversion kits to make different varients (and I got the Hummer kits on clearance at Hobby Lobby for $12.00 each).

I have two Tamiya M113A2's because they were on clearance at Hobby Lobby for $14.00 each. I had to buy both. I will build one OOB. Who knows what I will do with the other.

I have two Blackhawks because one is the AH-60 DAP kit and one is the UH-60L kit. I love the DAP configuration so I was going to build it OOB. I was flown around Iraq on a UH-60L so I was going to build a UH-60L OOB with custom decals (I hope). Both of these were purchased on clearance at Hobby Lobby for $23.00 ea.

I have two F/A-18C kits again, because they have different markings and weapon load-outs. These were bought on clearance at Hobby Lobby for $27.00 ea.

I have two Tamiya M1A2 Abrams (bought on clearance at Hobby Lobby for $14.00 ea before DML put out their M1A1 AIM or M1A2) because I was going to build one as a US Army tank and one as a US Marine Corps tank.

I have two Tamiya M2 Bradleys because I was going to build one M2 straight OOB. I was going to use interior pieces from the other Tamiya M2 to build the interior of the Tamiya M2A2.

There is a method to my madness MMMWWWWAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:39 AM UTC
Just in the interest of natural balance, I'll show you where I have to do my modelling.....
Not everybody has a spare room...

Not that I'm jealous

Henk
dante
Visit this Community
entire network: 49 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 05:39 AM UTC
Henk,
What's the iron for.
Brent,
Do you spray paint with out a booth are at least a fan? Do you get a lot of over spray?
Dan
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 06:36 AM UTC
I do spray wihout a booth or fan. i will open the window on occasion. I have not had a problem with overspray to this point. I use low air pressure and appropriately thinned paint and everything has gone fine to this point.

Having said that, I am hoping to get a spray booth by the end of the year.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Henk,
What's the iron for.
Brent,
Do you spray paint with out a booth are at least a fan? Do you get a lot of over spray?
Dan

The iron is for putting the bulge in halftrack wheels..... Not that it's a bad thing....
Seriously,we have got to get you a surplus quonset hut or something. A hobbiest can't survive on 1.5 square feet of 'manland'.
Cheers for sheds!
SAS007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 01:18 PM UTC
Hi Brent

I've got mine up in the loft ... away from the kids and the cats

Just a wee corner to work in.

Steve C (Jnr)
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 12:45 PM UTC
Here is my humble abode on the utilities side of my base,my stash is behind me,only about 10-15 kits,but growing!!I also have a display area on the finished side of my basement.

airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 915 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 08:08 PM UTC

now thats what I call excelent display cases
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Henk,
What's the iron for.

Why, ironing clothes of course...

Sharing the kitchen is not always ideal, but it kinda works. To use the airbrush I cover the other side of the worktop, and cooker, in newspaper. Acrylic paint only mind... .

Quoted Text

The iron is for putting the bulge in halftrack wheels..... Not that it's a bad thing....
Seriously,we have got to get you a surplus quonset hut or something. A hobbiest can't survive on 1.5 square feet of 'manland'.

A hut would be nice, as would be a garden to put the hut in..

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 01:47 AM UTC
All nice displays.
Brent where are the Tiger I's and Panzer III's at???
Plus no T/34's shame on you.
By golly not one Sherman.

Well mine is in the house.
I am lucky that the wife let me have the big room.
Guess I will keep her or her me for another 30 years.

Mine from a few months ago,clutter is more now but what the hay.

I share it with my "other " hobby collecting Fossils and Arrowheads.

Henk I guess size does no matter in your case.
To turn out such fine work in the area goes to prove it.

Anthony where did you get those Curio Cabinets from?

Homemade or what.

I also work wood.

I would be interested if made or bought.

Well the little area plus a little shot of the Stash.

Paint area

Overall view

Some of the stash I need to take another picture as it has grown by a bunch since last taken.

Old stereo I do mean old.

Paint rack that keeps growing,Wife says no more hanging ones as I have enough paint now,little does She know.

Great to see the areas.
Now if we can get Steve and Doug Lee to post their areas.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 03:39 AM UTC
the curios with the planes came fro a local store,now out of business,and the long case with the ships+armor came from www.gemodisplys.com

Quoted Text

All nice displays.

Well mine is in the house.
I am lucky that the wife let me have the big room.
Guess I will keep her or her me for another 30 years.

Mine from a few months ago,clutter is more now but what the hay.

I share it with my "other " hobby collecting Fossils and Arrowheads.

Henk I guess size does no matter in your case.
To turn out such fine work in the area goes to prove it.

Anthony where did you get those Curio Cabinets from?

Homemade or what.

I also work wood.

I would be interested if made or bought.

Well the little area plus a little shot of the Stash.

Paint area

Overall view

Some of the stash I need to take another picture as it has grown by a bunch since last taken.

Old stereo I do mean old.

Paint rack that keeps growing,Wife says no more hanging ones as I have enough paint now,little does She know.

Great to see the areas.
Now if we can get Steve and Doug Lee to post their areas.

sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 04:25 AM UTC
Thanks for posting the photos everybody.

Quoted Text

Here is my humble abode on the utilities side of my base,my stash is behind me,only about 10-15 kits,but growing!!I also have a display area on the finished side of my basement.

Anthony,
A work bench like that is what I was actually going to use first. While walking to the part of the store that had work benches, I stumbled upon the other cabinet stuff. My wife insisted on the cabinet components once she saw them. You have absolutely fantastic display cases and some great builds sitting in them. You almost have your own museum.

Quoted Text

All nice displays.

Jeff,
I actually have several Tigers there. They are on the right side of the pile and kind of hard to see. I have all of the Tigers that Cyber-Hobby has put out except for the Tiger I initial DAK.

I also have a Tamiya Panzer IIIL, Tamiya Stug III G, and a Tamiya Flakpanzer Wirblewind (both 20mm and 37mm). They just aren't visible. They are still boxed up from the move.

In regards to Shermans, I have the Tamiya M4A3 w/105mm that will go on the back of one of my Dragon Wagons. I also have every one of the Creighton Abrams "Thunderbolt" Sherman tanks that DML has put out. In the future I will be doing a Creighton Abrams display which will have one of each of his Shermans along with an M1, M1A1 and M1A2.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:14 PM UTC
thanks Anthony.
Will look it up.
I would build one easy really as all they are a series of doors.
But the price of glass is out of this world when bought in pieces.
Shelves have to tempered as not to break.

Brent great that you have some axis stuff.
Got to love those Tigers.
Cheers
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 915 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 01:35 AM UTC
here is the cave

Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 06:42 AM UTC
Here is the desk, the rest of my shed (Haven) can be seen on another thread.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/114523&page=1

Keef.
Removed by original poster on 04/29/08 - 19:11:44 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP