_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
L. A. Miniaturists Meeting this Saturday!
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 893 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 03:42 PM UTC
Hello, All,

For anyone in the LA area interested, the Los Angeles Miniaturists are having their May Meeting this Saturday at 9:00 AM at the Chiodo Brothers ("Killer Klowns" et al) effects facility in Burbank.

The club boasts modellers interested in everything from Sci Fi and armor to aircraft, ships, and both scale and action figures... Just about every small scale interest or subject is represented!!

Meetings consist of a Show and Tell session where modellers display and answer questions about their finished models and works-in-progress (I'll be bringing my very-much in progress SMT Y Wing), a raffle with lots of great prizes (sorry to say I did not win the Fine Molds X Wing kit recently raffled off!), and a technical demonstration, this month being casting and mold making by an industry veteran who's credits include "Blade 2" "Star Trek: First Contact" and one of the "Batman" features.

It's a great way to spend three hours or so on a Saturday morning! All skill levels and interests are welcome --- most of the club's Founders are prize winning modelers and painters in the big national competitions. They are a great bunch and are all quite eager to share their insights!! Me, personally, I'm an average modeller looking to improve my skills...the club has really helped me to progress! Lastly, a club member ship gets you between 10% and 20% off at a few of the local hobby shops, which is not a bad deal unto itself.

So, that's 9:00 AM this Saturday May 3rd at:

Chiodo Brothers Productions
110 W. Provedencia Ave (off of the 5 Freeway Betw. Olive and Alameda Exits)
Burbank, California

For any other info, please feel free to e-mail me at: [email protected]

Hope to see many of you there, fellow modellers!

Regards and Aloha

John B.
JPeiper
Visit this Community
entire network: 317 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 02:42 AM UTC
Havoc-

I just wish you guys were a bit further north. Like in Santa Cruz. :-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Havoc-

I just wish you guys were a bit further north. Like in Santa Cruz. :-)

Yeah - then I could make it too! Sunnyvale is about 400 miles too far north of LA for me to make attendance...

Gunnie
JPeiper
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 03:05 AM UTC
GunTruck -

Are you a member of the Milpitas IPMS? Do you know of any other groups in Northern California that are more focused on figures?

GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you a member of the Milpitas IPMS? Do you know of any other groups in Northern California that are more focused on figures?

Yes, IPMS Silicon Valley Scale Modelers is my home chapter, though I don't always have opportunity to attend the monthly meetings. I don't believe any of the SF Bay Area chapters have a great emphasis on figure modeling - even with Mike Good living in the area. If you frequent D&J Hobby, ask Al if Mike participates in any particular chapter activity - IPMS or not. Al or Dave over on the Gaming side of the store might also be in tune with the local gamers - who do paint some fine figurines. They don't usually mix with the local IPMS-crowd (pity). I'll ask around for you too...

Gunnie
JPeiper
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
Thanks. I appreciate the effort.

I'll ask Al when I make my next bi-monthly paint run to D&J.
Havoc
Visit this Community
entire network: 893 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 07:38 AM UTC
Bummer, dudes!!!

Always tryin' ta pull new members into the club! Gunnie, I'd particularly like ta see your work up close (on top of that, knowing another guy into Vietnam war subjects would be totally cool.)

Did either of you make it down for Tamiya Con last month? I was lucky enough to take a first place trophy for my Tamiya PBR... No trip ta Japan, though!!

Keep the club in mind if you are making the trip down to LA --- first saturday of the month!

Much Aloha, amigos --- and Keep on Modellin'!!

Johnny B.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bummer, dudes!!!

Always tryin' ta pull new members into the club! Gunnie, I'd particularly like ta see your work up close (on top of that, knowing another guy into Vietnam war subjects would be totally cool.)

Did either of you make it down for Tamiya Con last month? I was lucky enough to take a first place trophy for my Tamiya PBR... No trip ta Japan, though!!

Keep the club in mind if you are making the trip down to LA --- first saturday of the month!

Much Aloha, amigos --- and Keep on Modellin'!!

Johnny B.

I'll keep the club in mind! Yes, I made it down for Tamiya Con. Saw your PBR - congrats! I was awarded a Second Place for my T-55A Model 1970 Tank. Tamiya Con is always an interesting event to participate in - you never know what's going to happen. Did you follow that revised way they picked winners to go to Japan???

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP