Decal photocopying
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hi Guys

I have a couple of sheets of Canadian infantry uniform markings from Quartermaster's Dept. Since they are gone and I have no future way of getting these again I was wondering if anyone has had success scanning these and printing them on decal paper for use on figures. I also have some Can tank markings that I hear Ultracast quit making as well and would like to do the same. Any attempts or possible hints to succeeding at this would be great.

HastyP
footsie
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:27 PM UTC
yep i tried this and it works, just give it a day or two to completely dry, but it comes down to how good your printer and scanner is , works better if you can find pics of what you want on the net. the problem i had was people banging on about copy right . big deal , i did some maps that came out great .
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 02:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

had was people banging on about copy right . big deal , i did some maps that came out great .

As a person who deals with and produces copyrighted material let me just respond, yeah, why worry about laws? Why worry about stealing someone else's work, after all, its just prattle isn't it? Now, will this stop anyone? Of course not, but lets be plain, breaking copyright laws is just that, breaking the law.

John
footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:22 PM UTC
see what i mean !!!!
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 01:40 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Tony. Like I said they are out of print and I don't want to lose them. If someone else would make them I would gladly buy them like I bought these ones but when they are gone and no one picks up the slack I am not letting them go.

HastyP
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 01:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

see what i mean !!!!

Could not resist.
Some are sticklers on that.
Bad thing is when you bring in a copy that you need to enlarge and everybody at Kinkos won't help cause of the Copy right law
footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 08:18 AM UTC
all i wanted was some maps of Mogadishu for a couple of 120mm delta force figs and a us army ranger , if i could buy them i would , but where would i get them ? any ideas jowady.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

all i wanted was some maps of Mogadishu for a couple of 120mm delta force figs and a us army ranger , if i could buy them i would , but where would i get them ? any ideas jowady.

Google is your friend. I found several, with at least a couple public domain maps you could use with a completely clear conscience. Simply put in Mogadishu map.
footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:18 PM UTC
AL, thats what i did until some folks started on about copyright this and copyright that, i used the maps anyway and they turned out great. one guy even said a model that breeches copyright should not be entered into any competitions. but if the decals you need are no longer produced and you only have one set what do you do ? then again maybe i could have worded my original reply a bit better .
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 353 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 07:12 PM UTC
There's "fair use" tho - it's fair for you to copy a map for a model base/background (provided you can't obtain a copy to cut). Not fair for you to copy 75, or to copy 75 and sell them, or even sell the one.

There's also a good test - "are you preventing the owner from making money?" Tho out-of-print items are technically copyright (for the author's life +50yrs), you're not depriving anyone of income by making one copy to finish a model.
 _GOTOTOP