_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
EBAY and PAYPAL
dave05
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 06:16 PM UTC
just to let any OZ people no if you dont want to be FORCED into the use of PAYPAL Please consider putting your view to the ACCC this is a reply i got from them
also note im not against paypal i use it some times i dont really have a bad opinion however i use bank transfers as the FEES add up and i dont think it is right to be FORCED to have a Paypal account to sell or buy items on EBAY

any way i will paste the email for people to look at this mainly concernes Australia i asume :] well for NOW

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) concerning the recent exclusive dealing arrangement proposed by eBay International.

The role of the ACCC is to ensure compliance with the Trade Practices Act 1974 (TPA), which is designed to encourage fair trading and discourage anti-competitive conduct through a specific set of competition and consumer protection rules. It is only when there is a contravention of the TPA that there may be a role for the ACCC.

As you are aware, on 10 April 2008, eBay announced that:

• as of 21 May 2008, all items listed for sale on eBay.com.au must offer PayPal as one of the payment methods and
• as of 17 June 2008, all items listed for sale must only offer payment via PayPal (or credit card transactions processed by PayPal) or cash on delivery.

On 11 April 2008, eBay International AG lodged an exclusive dealing notification with the ACCC in relation to the above conduct, which provides eBay with immunity under the TPA from this date.

The ACCC has commenced a consultation process in relation to the notification. People who wish to raise concerns about the notified conduct should lodge a public submission via [email protected] by 2 May 2008.

The ACCC can take steps to remove the immunity conferred by the notification if it is satisfied that:

• the proposed conduct will result in a substantial lessening of competition
• the public benefit that may result from the proposed conduct would not outweigh the detriment to the public caused by the lessening of competition.

Further information, including a copy of eBay’s notification, can be found at the ACCC’s exclusive dealing notifications register, by going to www.accc.gov.au and following the “public registers” and “authorisations and notifications registers” links.

Thank you for contacting the ACCC with your concerns. I trust this information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely

ACCC Infocentre
1300 302 502
dave05
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 09:13 PM UTC
the new Australian online auction place www.oztion.com.au lets all ditch the greedy mob of [auto-censored]s at EBAY
rwaldram
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:41 PM UTC
maybe so, but i costs money ($22) just to join that site as a seller/buyer and you still get stung with fees for listing and selling items too. As for your issues with paypal , i do understand where you're coming from however with the incredibly limited amount of items listing on eBay.com.au for models we quite often have no choice but to go to eBay.com or even eBay.co.uk for model kits, conversion parts, scratchbuilding supplies etc. With these it's pretty well essential to have a Paypal account. Not to mention that if you sell anything on eBay you're really restricting your chances of selling the item if you only accept bank transferrs or money order as this will only open about a tenth of the market and after all, why would you only give 100,000 people the chance to buy your item when you could get a better price and better chance of selling if you expose it to 1,000,000 people.

To give you an example of both instances, i recently bought a lot of evergreen styrene from a guy in the US (eBay.com) it cost me $90 (AUD) including postage for 18 brand new packets, in Australia these would've cost $7.95 each, thats around $145 dollars. As s seller, i listed an original issue AMT Mack R Series with resin conversion, the highest bid i got from eBay.com.au was $85. Thankfully i had some issues with ebay and the sale was unsuccessful, i relisted it on eBay.com only a matter of days later and it sold for $165 (US).

Without Paypal, none of these transactions woul've been possible. Not to mention that if you pay via paypal you have an additional dispute process if something goes wrong.
dave05
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:48 AM UTC
yes however not all items need paypal so if you dont why should a person have to use paypal they are taking away an option also note ebay own paypal so i think profit is on there mind

also you see some of the paypal horror stories out there
here are a couple and the link to the current affairs program as well
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=YDqpNsIg9vA
also
search google for paypal
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UIlzb51Oc

also you can pick and choose payment method not now if you dont have paypal geuss what any way
i just brought this to the attention of people so they can make up there own mind paypal is like ebay money you need a credit card and or a bank account to use it so its like a third wheel that charges however if you do alot of small imports yes it can help however what if you dont ?? aye we get charged to convert aus $ to aus $ another fee
 _GOTOTOP