_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello Everyone
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:21 PM UTC
I started modeling at a young age and remember my dad spending late nights at the living room coffee table building some WWII planes and some Star Trek models. It rubbed off on me and I modeled up until I joined the Navy in 1990. I abandoned the hobby over the next twelve years or so and re-joined it around 2002. Shortly thereafter I joined Armorama and then became the aircraft news editor. I was still in the Navy at this point but a change in jobs forced me out of the hobby again in 2005. I left the Navy in late 2006 and after having settled into a new life in Jacksonville, Florida am ready to start building again.

I started out in the Navy as an enlisted sailor. I attended Naval Nuclear Power School in 1990/91 and served onboard submarines (USS ALEXANDRIA (SSN 757 and USS SEAWOLF (SSN 21) for about six years before getting commissioned as an Officer. As an Officer I served onboard surface ships (USS GUAM (LPH 9), USS VELLA GULF (CG 72), and USS BARRY (DDG 52). Onboard the ships I held the positions of Main Propulsion Assistant, Air Defense Officer, and Operations Officer. All of my deployments were to the Mediterranean. These deployments saw me visit most ports/countries in the med plus many outside (including Scotland, England, Nigeria, Senegal, The Saychelles, and visits to the Persian Gulf on two different occasions).

I mainly model WWII planes but do experiment a little in armor. I know it seems odd with my background but I've never modeled a ship. I don't know why. I have modeled a couple of submarines but that was over 15 years ago.
grayghost666
entire network: 2,458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 163 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 05:52 PM UTC
hello Bryan,
welcome to the site.over here at Model Shipwright we have a Group Build you might be interested in,it is about Amphib forces called called Gator Navy.you might want to check it out,as you served on a LPH.
if you have any questions please ask,
cheers,
Bruce
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:12 AM UTC
Welcome Aboard Bryan!

Quite a background you have, should make the ship builders happy with someone they can get some more info from. Look forward to seeing some of your builds.

Cheers
HastyP
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 07:22 AM UTC
Hello Bryan, I would be hard pressed to tell you why I model the subjects that I do. My tastes are ecclectic to say the least. I have always liked small craft as well as DD's,DE's,CA's, and BB's, but never cared much for the carriers. I build armor, ships, figures, sci-fi, and aircraft. About the only thing I don't build are cars. When I was younger I prefered WW2 aircraft, (with the occasional F-86 thrown in) but not jets (what,?missiles,no guns!). But now I've grown to appreciate the lines of a Phantom, Voodoo, or some other manned missile . Some subjects appeal to me for their historical significance, some just because I like the way they look. After I recently built a model of a German U-Boat I read the account of a British armed trawler that was sunk by this particular sub. I somehow felt bad about my choice of model. Without getting too philosophical about a hobby, I just wanted to say build what you like and like what you build.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 01:28 PM UTC
Welcome back Bryan Missed having you around
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 03:37 PM UTC
Hey Brian,welcome back!
Cheers for treadheads!
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 3,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 204 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 10:26 AM UTC
Welcome Bryan,

This is a great site. Help is just a click away if you ever need it.

Be sure to check out the campaigns. They are usually a lot of fun to participate in.
montythefirst
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 01:03 PM UTC
hi and welcome
 _GOTOTOP