_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Sealing Coat - Which To Use?
willow
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
entire network: 129 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 02:04 PM UTC
Hi: When sealing your pastel chalk weathering, camo lines, etc, which is the best product to use?

I've read that Gunze Sangyo H-20 flat clear works quite well, but someone said it was very thick and when thinned went back to being shiney.

I use arcylic paints (Tamiya & Gunze Sangyo brand)

Thanks..............Iain
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 02:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've read that Gunze Sangyo H-20 flat clear works quite well, but someone said it was very thick and when thinned went back to being shiney.

Hi Iain,

Gunze H20 flat Clear does work quite well. It's not any thicker than any other of the regular line of Gunze paints. The issue with it coming out shiny is most likely down to insufficient stirring/mixing.

As with any other paint, it consists of a binder/carrier and a pigment (in this case, the "pigment" is a (mostly) transparent matting agent). The matting agent does tend to settle in the jar, so prior to use it needs to be stirred thoroughly . When you add thinner to it, it also needs to be mixed thoroughly (don't just dump some thinner in your mixing cup/jar and slosh it sround a bit for a few seconds - it must be well stirred).

When airbrushing, you need to work fairly quickly, before the heavier particles of matting agent settle out. When this happens, the matting agent gets sprayed through first because it has settled at the botom of the jar/cup, followed by the "thinner" mix above, containing less of the matting agent, resulting in a "shinier" finish.

I hope this makes sense...
 _GOTOTOP