_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How to Remove Glue Gun?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 04:44 AM UTC
I have here a model of an aircraft about 5 years ago. During those years, I don't know much about modeling. Most of the time, model kits I brought were all snap on. This was different. I used glue gun to mend the two parts together. Now I have a problem removing them since the plane is still in good state. I've done scraping with a knife and a sandpaper but it took so long to remove it. Suggestions?
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 07:25 AM UTC
Two things come to mind and I am not saying either would work.

The first would be to put the model in the freezer. At some point, I think the glue, if not initially spread all over the items, would become brittle, lose it's adhesion and be easier to remove.

The second idea would be to heat the item and let the glue liquify again and then take it apart. If you have no decals or paint, you might want to carefully put the model in hot water - get a guage and slowly heat up the water - you don't want to ruin the plastic aircraft by setting it on the hottest temp. Maybe also try the microwave at a very low temperture if you do have paint and decals.

Anyway, like I said, not sure this would work, but its an idea. I am sure others will have proven ones that would be better for your situation.

GR8Voyager
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 09:11 AM UTC
Not much help either from me but one point relating to gr8voyager´s points ......... plastic becomes more brittle when cold as well. So freezing may not be the answer!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 01:06 PM UTC
How about trying a hair dryer or blow dryer? The plastic most likely has a higher melting temperature than the glue since the hot glue didn't melt the plastic when you made the kit, right? Heat up the joints with the dryer and see if you can work the parts free.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 01:25 PM UTC
I don't know for certain but the melt point of most hot glue has to be higher than the melt point of most plastic models. Most of the glue guns we use at the foundry where I work are way hotter than the average soldering iron. The hot glue from from the glue gun has probably glued and melded with the model and there may be no really easy way to get them apart. I don't know of an easy solution. Sorry, just my .02
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 07:47 PM UTC
Why not buy another kit and do it better?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why not buy another kit and do it better?

Good idea, but that model is a rare one. Can't find any other model of that here. I wasted my B-day money on that model. Well, I could atleast see the wrong things I've done.
I really love that kit

Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 02:47 AM UTC
I know that with the glue gun I have I can just peel the glue off. I think that reheating it and trying to remove it that way would be a mess. Why not try peeling it.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know that with the glue gun I have I can just peel the glue off. I think that reheating it and trying to remove it that way would be a mess. Why not try peeling it.

Glue gun cannot be peeled. It is hard as plastic
 _GOTOTOP