Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
WWII Victory Museum
Boiler
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 03:11 AM UTC
If any of you get a chance to visit the WWII Victory Museum in Auburn, IN I would greatly reccommend it. Besides all the rare German and allied vehicles, there are some guys there building a HUGE diorama of the Battle of the Bulge. When it is completed it will be fantastic. Hell, it's fantastic NOW and they are still working on it.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 01:50 PM UTC
Boiler,
Where are you from? I am from Marion. I just the last two days at the museum for the AMPS convention.
Not much in the way of armor but if you are in to soft skin stuff and half tracks that is the place to go. I had no idea how big the Dragon Wagon actually was until I was standing pretty much underneath it. They must have 10 German half tracks and RSOs.
I thought the diorama was pretty much typical of a museum diorama myself.
Too big and too bloody. They have about 5 Tiger I and 6 Tiger II tanks with in 200 scale yards of about 10 Shermans. That just didn't happen. But that may be just me.

Shaun

Oh, and Boiler up. English major with a minor in military history. Big sister EE degree. Little sister, genetic micro-biology degree. Boiler up, indeed.
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:59 AM UTC
We will be having a ww2 reenactment there at the end of july if anybody is interested. its always a good time at the mueseum.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 6,188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 05:11 AM UTC
I haven't been there in a couple of years and an unplaned family event kept me away this past weekend. I'll shoot for the end of July.

Heck, admission gets you in both sides of the museum, if you're into cars!
Boiler
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:31 AM UTC
I will be at the reenactment this year as a spectator. I went there last year for the first time and it was great. The guys were pretty friendly too and even let me examine some of their stuff. I will look for some of you guys if you are there, just give me some identifying characteristics. I am adding some photos to my gallery from our last trip.............
Boiler
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:33 AM UTC
I am from South Bend so am well within striking distance. If you get a chance to come to South Bend visit the Military Honor Park, it is at the South Bend Airport. It is small but they have some cool stuff there!
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will be at the reenactment this year as a spectator. I went there last year for the first time and it was great. The guys were pretty friendly too and even let me examine some of their stuff. I will look for some of you guys if you are there, just give me some identifying characteristics. I am adding some photos to my gallery from our last trip.............

We are the SS Gebirgsjagers SS Nord, and will will be there. We were there last year also
Boiler
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 09:21 AM UTC
This Sunday I am going to a WWII thing in Lowell, IN. Apparently they have been doing for the last 10 years or so. This is the first I have heard of it. According to the article in the Tribune it sounds like it is a pretty big show.