_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Need Advice- new product development
titancbuf
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 07:17 AM UTC
Would anyone be interested in trying laser cut CARD STOCK railings in 1/350th. I need some outside opinions.
Thanks, Brian
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 08:25 AM UTC
? hmm not sure if I'm reading it right?
Do you mean 1/35th scale? If so do you mean things like balcony railing and such? Personally, no, but it would/could be a nice less expensive option for some.

If you mean 1/350th scale as in small scale for ships you may want to check ModelShipwrights and ask over there.
titancbuf
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 09:23 AM UTC
Oops, I'm sorry. I actually did post to model shipwrights. I wasn't aware that it went out to all sites. I did mean 1/350 and they are cheaper than PE brass. On the other hand, you have me thinking of 1/35th diorama railings as well. Thanks a bunch. If you have something specific in mind let me know.
Thanks again, Brian
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:33 AM UTC
All kinds of things could be made in 1/35th scale. I can think of these things off hand.
Wooden ammo crates, wooden cabs for late war German trucks, small buildings, tables & chairs. Lots of things can be made for the modeler. You'll just have to find the right items to start with and expand from there.
Joe
titancbuf
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:52 AM UTC
Joe-
Thanks for the ideas. We do offer a variety of ammo crates and a wooden cab for the Italeri ZIS-5 Soviet truck but not any German ones. I'll look into that. By small buidlings do you mean outhouses, chicken coops, etc. or something larger? Tables and chairs are on the way.
Thanks again,
Brian (pfa-productions.com)
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 12:23 PM UTC
Bryan, yes outside buildings would work. Just have to figure out what kind of building would work best for most people. Small sheds, outhouses, and other buildings would work for most people I would think.
Their are several wooden encloseures on Opel Blitz trucks. The late war wooden cabs would work for some people.
All types of furnature for bombed out buildings or undamaged buildings for diorama's.
You'll just have to find out what items most people would want.
Make a list of items you can make and post them and ask for everyone's opinion.
Do some research to see what you can see in other diorama's with buildings. See what they have and what is missing. I'll think a bit more and see what else might be useful.
Joe
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 01:03 PM UTC
If you could 'spin' a draft image of a railing or of the side panels of a truck it would help with feedback.
As I write this - I think that it could also go for 1/48 and 1/72 scale. The smaller the scale, the better paper is suited for things like this.
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 04:09 PM UTC
Other items that could be used are farm carts and wheelbarrows. I've got pictures of soldiers using carts or wheelbarrows (borrowed) to haul their weapons or supplies.
Joe
titancbuf
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 - 03:34 AM UTC
Thanks again Joe. I never would have thought of carts and wheelbarrows. I'll get right on those.
Thanks, Brian
MonroePerdu
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 115 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 - 06:27 AM UTC
Just noticed this thread and thought you might find something useful from our range:
www.monroeperdu.com

We have some tables, chairs, Newspaper Kiosk, Upright Piano and some other laser cut items. We've been using this technology for six years and are working on new kits each month.

I can't say definitely if laser cut card will work for such small sale ship railings. My experience is that the card/paper may come apart in various places because of the small width of each railing. Although the square shapes that make up the railing are an easy cut for the laser, a length of railing may take awhile to cut and therefore cost more than you might be comfortable with.
Mike
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 03:52 AM UTC
Go to the following website for some really cool items:
www.gclaser.com/military
Mike
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 05:40 AM UTC
Hi Brian,

Some superb ideas and products above!

I am dubious about 1/350 cardstock railing, as I wonder if humidity would not eventually degrade its rigidity. Also, gluing--CA or white glue? Otherwise, the idea may be worth some product demonatrators.

Hey, ever considier the paper for webbing, belts, straps, etc.? That's what I use.

I appreciate your model RR goodies.

All my best,

Fred
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:33 AM UTC
Ahoy Brian!

Have you given any thoughts to wooden replacement decks for ships and submarines?
titancbuf
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hey Mark & Fred,
We have put some thought into ship decks, even some for 700th. I'm currently working on wood decks for the 400 QM2. I'll do some more experiments with the card railings. The trick is to let the sections absorb some thinner CA once they're cut to length making them immune to humidity. We've got a couple of belts/ webbing projects on the to do list including cargo nets for helicopters, C-130s, and freight ships.
Thanks for the ideas and compliments.
Brian
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Mark & Fred,
We have put some thought into ship decks, even some for 700th. I'm currently working on wood decks for the 400 QM2. I'll do some more experiments with the card railings. The trick is to let the sections absorb some thinner CA once they're cut to length making them immune to humidity. We've got a couple of belts/ webbing projects on the to do list including cargo nets for helicopters, C-130s, and freight ships.
Thanks for the ideas and compliments.
Brian

Very interesting, Brian!
Looking forward to seeing more, mate.......
 _GOTOTOP