_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Mold for casting fenders, hoods etc.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 05:26 PM UTC
What type of mold would i need to cast fenders and hood of M35A1 or 2
truck. Two part mold Im not sure. Thanks

Keenan
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 04:15 AM UTC
G'day Keenan,
Give this a go.
Squash Mold

Cheers Jason
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 04:52 AM UTC
It really depends on how many you need. you can make a 1 part mold.. f you only need a few.... if you want a bunch... go 2 (or more) part.....
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 08:56 AM UTC
There's another far less expensive and simpler way to do fenders and hoods, provided they don't have much detail, or at least detail you can add afterward. Have you thought of heat forming the parts? I did some fenders to convert Tamiya's halftracks to M5's several years ago. They had the flatter contoured fender associated with the halftracks produced by International.
All you need is a canning jar-the kind with the screw on lid with the removable center-and a basswood form.
Carve the fender/hood out of the wood and sand it smooth. It has to be just slightly smaller than the part you want.
Take the canning jar and replace the center of the lid with a disc of .010 styrene. Place it in a warm oven until the plastic starts to sag. Now plunge the wooden form into the plastic. Let it cool, and pull the wooden form out. You'll have to trim it, and chances are only one out three tries will work, but it will work.
If you don't have a canning jar you can still accomplish this a number of ways. You can make a wooden frame for the plastic, or modify a wide mouthed jar by simply cutting the entire center out of the top.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 09:11 AM UTC
How about this feature

Vacuu forming
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:30 PM UTC
Thanks guys, im wanting to make some molds for the 5-ton conv. I scratch built the conversion using Daves (animal) feature. Just want to make some copys to speed up the process. I looked at some photos in the gallery of some of his molds wish I knew what process he used does he still visit the site im sure he would be glad to help. Do you think the vacuu forming would work for this.
m_buchler
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:53 PM UTC
If you can post a few pictures of the parts, I might be able to help point you in the right direction.

Also, if you just need general casting and mold making info, there's a bunch of stuff on it in my self-published book: https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/114741&page=1
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:01 AM UTC
Here is one picture dont no if it help you help me. Im sure its possible to copy the whole front end which it might be easier than the seperate parts.

Thanks Keenan
m_buchler
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is one picture dont no if it help you help me. Im sure its possible to copy the whole front end which it might be easier than the seperate parts.

Thanks Keenan

You would do better to seperate the parts, and make molds for each part. But since they're together like that and the photo is really small, I cannot give you a good answer as to how the mold halves should be split or laid out.
SHERMAN2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 89 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 05:45 PM UTC
You could take a look here and maybe get some ideas. I've made a few molds. Easier to mold individual parts than whole assembles.

Joe

vrsa_99
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:55 PM UTC
I have a quetion about the one part mold. When the parts are attached on a tree like structure for molding, how do you get them out. Does the mold strech or doy you have to cut it? The example are on this pictures:
http://news.webshots.com/photo/2471019520034293688cvoTpg
http://news.webshots.com/photo/2462629790034293688LfYbxV
http://news.webshots.com/photo/2530545280034293688BmFTcV

I mean, how do you get the castings out?
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:49 AM UTC
In the first pic you can see a slight need to cut just a little bit of the mold. I've done this quite a few times and t works.

Joe was the one I learned alot of my casting from thru chatting with him online.
vrsa_99
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:34 AM UTC
Would a seam be visible on the castings afterwards?
SHERMAN2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 89 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 07:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would a seam be visible on the castings afterwards?

Generally all parts will have a mold seam. Mine have more of a thin flash of resin where the molds part. Easily removable with a knife or file. The only tools needed for my castings.

How do I get the parts out?

I use the 10-1 high strength rubber from Micro-Mark. It's very strong and stretchy. For most parts I do what I call a closed mold method. That is when the mold closes over the part with only the thinest opening for air to escape. I mount tires on pins. Other parts are mounted on thin strips of plastic only thick enough to support the weight of the master. Parts that are small or thin I mount on very thin packing tape. All these are mounted on a resin reservoir block. After molding the master the reservoir will break off from the master. Then I cut the mold down to the master until I can stretch the mold enough to get it out.
Big or odd shaped parts like fenders and cabs require 2 or sometimes 3 piece molds.

I do highly recommend the investment in a pressure tank if you plan on making lots of molds and parts. It's been key to what I can do.

Joe
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:15 AM UTC
Yep. Joe's methods do work........ and the pressure tank is a damn nice investment. A used paint tank on Ebay or a new one like: Paint Tank Can be converted to work easily. no more than 25-30 psi is usually required.
 _GOTOTOP