_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What is MDF ?
Shahrid
Visit this Community
Damansara, Malaysia
entire network: 116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 03:11 AM UTC
In magazines I read, they mentioned using MDF board or MDF strips to make dioramas or can also be use as the base for the diorama.
What is actually MDF means ?
Where to find this MDF?
How to work or cut this MDF thing?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 03:17 AM UTC
It's a type of more solid plywood material. I know it's used in making outdoor signs a lot.

Jim
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 03:23 AM UTC
MDF= Medium Density Fiberboard.
It's a cheap manufactured lumber. They take scrap material and chop it up into chips and bits and then glue it all together into a piece of dementinal lumber.

Its cheap and easy to use. The glue will eventually breakdown and the lumber will disintigrate if it gets and stays wet, so seal it.
chipotle
entire network: 72 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 03:24 AM UTC
In the UK MDF stands for Medium Density Fibreboard, you can get it in most DIY stores. I suppose it looks like very thick cardboard but is a bit stronger. Cuts easily with a saw but watch the dust can get everywhere especially your lungs.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 07:40 AM UTC
:-) Yes MDF is Medium Density Fibreboard. It is actually fine particles of wood bonded in a type of resin. (I have routed every kitchen unit door sold in B&Q, well almost all , they are made out of MDF) Similarly to when you cut the resin pure off resin detail sets, you must, must, Must wear a mask when you cut it. Especially if ypu use power tools. Apart from that it's OK :-)
Mal
chipotle
entire network: 72 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 06:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) (I have routed every kitchen unit door sold in B&Q, well almost all , they are made out of MDF)Mal

That would mean i have bought some of your work Holdfast Any chance of a discount next time :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:24 PM UTC
:-) I could have got you a discount, if I still worked for the company that makes them. Must admit, the finished product is pretty good. Totally off topic but I love this; The machine that does the finishing (a membrane glued and wrapped to the MDF routed style) is actually 2 machines. One half is German the other Italian, when they are running OK, no problems but if one half breaks down, they are incapable of communicating with each other :-) I know there isn't that problem on Armorama, but I always imagined that it was something built into those machines, that reflected real life? (not intended to upset any Germans or Italians, but I am wearing my flack jacket and battle bowler, just in case )
Mal
Shahrid
Visit this Community
Damansara, Malaysia
entire network: 116 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 02:34 AM UTC
Thanks guys....I'll try to get it at my nearest DIY shop.
 _GOTOTOP