_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
piccy problems
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: -2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 02:29 AM UTC
hi all

just a short question about posting pics, well two actually. Here goes...

1 : i have a small digital camera, but i cant seem to get the pics to a very good quality - whats the best way to improve pic quality?
2: how do you actually post pics?

silly questions i know but ive never actually posted any pics on the net before and this is my forst model/iorama in a fair while - id like them to come out well when i do take piccys of them.!

cheers

alpha
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 02:41 AM UTC
Alpha, for what concerns your first question can you be a bit more precise about the quality problems you face? This to narrow the spectrum of the possible answer (i.e. color is not good, resolution is low, ecc.). On top of that what camera have you gor?
The second answer is more straight: as far as I know the only area on armorama where you can upload straight away is in the "Campaigns" folder, obviously if you are on one of those, and the size is limited to 35kb. Otherwise you have to find an external server on which you park the pics and then link them to the posts in the forum either inserting an url or an image link with the relevant buttons.
Ciao

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 02:42 AM UTC
Without seeing the pictures, it's hard to tell how to improve them.
Go to the gallery section and open an MSN account. There should be some pretty intuitive direction once you've done that. You'll need to name the album then click on add pictures. The default allows you to do one pictre at a time from your computer. You'll choose the "Browse" option, locate the drive/folder where your pics are stored and click on that then choose "Upload" or a similar command.
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 10:07 AM UTC
thanx guys-to answer the question about specific problems - the pics seem grainy, and somewhat blurry - ill do as advized and try to post them on msn - i apologize for the quality beforehand!!

thanx

alpha
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 10:32 AM UTC
just to add ive created an album, view it at your peril lol

http://groups.msn.com/armorama/armouratwar.msnw?albumlist=2

thanx for the help

alpha
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 01:03 PM UTC
hey alpha.......

they do look more grainy than blurry.

What kind of camera do you have? Whats its picture resolution and mega pixel count. Could be that you have it turned down low, so it takes a low quality picture. When you download your pics from the camera to the computer....how pig would the pics be? Mine normally run anywhere from 500kb up to almost 1MB depending on colors and such.

Also....do you have a macro lense in your camera? The macro lense allows you to take closer pics, and won't come out so blurry, for example with the macro turned on on mine...I can get within 6 inches of the subject to take a picture of it....some newer and more expensive ones can get within 2 inches.

Also if you have you camera zoomed in too much...it can pixelate the photo, most cameras have an optical zoom, followed by a digital zoom....the optical zoom is like any zoom lense on a camera....brings the subject in closer....when the digital zoom kicks in...it can digitze the picture so it doesn't end up coming out all that clearly.

Check these things over....and see if you can rectify the problem....could be just something as simple as settings on the camera!!!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 03:48 PM UTC
Okay. Having seen the pics, some thoughts. Generally, try to increase the amount of light availabel to you. This will force the aperture to close down which will give you better depth of field. Second, keep the background less cluttered. Used a mid grat drop cloth (got to a fabric store and pic up a remnant) ropughly equivalent toe dark ghost gray. Use that as a backdrop. Increase the resolution of your camera, if you can. If not, not to enlarge the pic in your photoprogram. If your photoprogram has an "autoenhance" do thaat first, then adjust the brightness. I've done this with 35 KB pics and had decent net results.
Hope this helps.
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 01:51 AM UTC
thanx guys - the camera is only a dinky thing- its a 'SiPix', 640x480 vga camera - ill try taking the pictures in better light and not getting too close, and post them once theyre done

cheers for now

alpha
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 02:01 AM UTC
Another thing that might help you out a bit. Most cameras have a function with their autoofocus that can cause the pics to be a little fuzzy. When you take your pictures, try to mount the camera on a tripod or brace it against something. Then, when pushing the fire button, push it halfway down, hold it a second, then finish. This brings the autofocus fully into focus before it takes the actual picure.
 _GOTOTOP