_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
modern stowage color/Hummer interior
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 05:41 AM UTC
I have another question. what color green should I use to paint modern duffle bags, ruck sacks, sleeping bag, tarps, etc. I have access to tamiya and model master paints so if you could give me an idea of which one of those to use that would be great. Also, what color green should the seats on a hummer be? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 05:50 AM UTC
Forest Green, or if using Tamiya paints, NATO green for seats, tarps, interior of HMMWV, sleeping bags, rucks, etc. The new ruck sacks are actually the same pattern as BDUs, but the all green ones are still common. Duffle bags get washed so some will show signs of wear, same as the HMMWV seat. The bottom of a lot of duffle bags is painted sand color and the person's name, SSN, unit will be stenciled in black on the bottom. Helps in identify your bag when there are hundreds piled in the back of a truck or on the ground. Tarps sometimes have an OD tint to them, they are made of plastic canvas now.
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 06:17 AM UTC
Good question Andrew, was wondering the same thing this afternoon. Was wanting to ask on here to find out....
Thanks for the answer, Rob.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 07:53 AM UTC
The new sleeping bags that Rob mentioned are actually three bags in one. There is an outter green bag, which is small and great for mild temps. The one inside this is a little bigger and black. The final one and outside cover is actually a gortex bivy cover that is in the woodland camo pattern. Put them all together and you have a bag that is good to -10 below I believe. I'd have to go look at mine and I'm having to much fun online right now. Anyway, the whole package is stowed in a black nylon compression bag that can be cinched down to a nice little package for ease of carrying or stowage. I have 2 of them and wouldn't trade them for any other bag. As far as the seats in the Hummer go, when new the are nice forest green. After time and wear they actually start looking a faded OD color. They are canvas and wear out pretty easily if you ask me. If you base coated the seat in OD and weathered it to the point of almost white, you would still be ok. Have seen some that actually were white they were so faded. On color along the spectrum of the forest green will get you by. No two are exactly alike.........unless new ones right out of the box. HTH "Q"
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 02:14 PM UTC
Sorry to bring up an old subject but I thought I would just continue this one instead of starting a new one.

Quoted Text

The bottom of a lot of duffle bags is painted sand color and the person's name, SSN, unit will be stenciled in black on the bottom.

could you possibly get a picture of this for me. I am not sure how much of the bottom needs to be painted and how the iformation is positioned. also, what is the best way to mark the bottom with the information in 1/35 scale. would you just need to make some custom decals or something?

I have a few new questions also what color are amo boxes (small arms up to 20mm or 40mm grenades). would they also be painted the same color green?

I have some food and water containers now. the food containers are rectangle boxes with raised lines running horizontal. It appears to be metal. Also I have a liquid dispenser. It is the kind with a lid and that you push a button on the bottom to get it to come out and it appears to be metal also. You guesed it, I need to know the correct colors on these. If anyone needs more clearification then I can post some pictures. Thanks again for the help from everyone.
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The bottom of a lot of duffle bags is painted sand color and the person's name, SSN, unit will be stenciled in black on the bottom.

could you possibly get a picture of this for me. I am not sure how much of the bottom needs to be painted and how the iformation is positioned. also, what is the best way to mark the bottom with the information in 1/35 scale. would you just need to make some custom decals or something?

Sure, I will take a picture of the bottom of my duffle bag for you.

Quoted Text

I have a few new questions also what color are amo boxes (small arms up to 20mm or 40mm grenades)...

They are a dark, semi-gloss forest green with yellow stenciling on the side

Quoted Text

I have some food and water containers now. the food containers are rectangle boxes with raised lines running horizontal. It appears to be metal. Also I have a liquid dispenser. It is the kind with a lid and that you push a button on the bottom to get it to come out and it appears to be metal also. You guesed it, I need to know the correct colors on these. If anyone needs more clearification then I can post some pictures. Thanks again for the help from everyone.

The food containers called "Merimites" are a dark green color but are usually banged up (paint scraped off). Many are repainted so colors vary. The green is a darker green than the ammo cans, almost an dark olive drab. The finish is semi gloss. The drink container is called a "Silver Bullet". It is usually polished stainless steel and not painted. Please post a picture (or e-mail to me) so I can verify. We do use some plastic types that are similar to the Gatorade jugs used at football games.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:51 PM UTC
Not to step on your toes Rob, but it sounds like Andrew has the Verlinden stuff. If so, the drink dispenser he might be talking about is the rectangle one. If so, they are green or brown. Horrible things, its hard to get the coffee tast out of those things.
I will take a picture of my duffle bag too. Every unit does it a little different. Mine was painted black with white letters and just had my unit and last four of my social on it.
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not to step on your toes Rob, but it sounds like Andrew has the Verlinden stuff. If so, the drink dispenser he might be talking about is the rectangle one. If so, they are green or brown.

Not stepping on my toes. It was unclear to me what type of drink container he has so I asked him to post a picture of it. I am unfamiliar with all the Verlinden accessories so you are probably right, although he said it looked like it was made out of metal, so I assumed it was a silver bullet.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:10 PM UTC
No Problem Rob. Thats what we are here for. Come to think of it, you are right. I just re-read it and it does sound like it is the metal ones. IM STILL TRYING TO WAKE UP. I had a long drill weekend. But if he does have the set I am thinking of, it comes with both those containers. Some one needs to come out with the orange water coolers we use now.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 11:38 AM UTC
It is the round one and it comes from one of the AEF resin kits. I will post both the food and the drink container tommarow if I get a chance. on the food container that gets banged upt, what color would show through if the paint was chiped off (what is it made of under the paint)? Thanks for the help, I will let you know when I get the pics up.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 11:50 AM UTC
Andrew,
I believe they where made out of aluminum or very thin stainless steel. The same material that most cafateria pots and pans and other do-dads are made of.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 02:01 AM UTC
The "mermite" food containers were/are (they are being replaced, slowly) a dull silver under the paint. The paint is often very badly chipped. Repainting was permitted/encouraged, and the paint colors tended to vary over time depending on what year it was painted. Different batches of paint dry slightly different, but noticeable, colors.

As far as the drink container, IIRC this is the older galvanized version of the modern Gott water coolers. They were usually a dull silver, almost gray, as you would expect a galvanized metal surface to be. If you are modelling a DS/DS vehicle, this is likely not the right container to use.

By the time of DS/DS, the galvanized coolers were pretty much gone (even in the National Guard!!). They had been replaced by the bright orange or yellow plastic coolers that get dumped on the winning coaches heads after every (American) football game. These are commercial OTS (Off The Shelf) coolers purchased by the Army, and the color depends on who makes it. Another choice would be the brown plastic coolers that are issued to mess halls for serving drinks. These are a sort of pot-bellied shape, and would be difficult to scratch. Both types of cooler have white lids.

It is/was not unusual to see the orange cooler painted green or black, but since the paint never stuck very well to the plastic, the basic color was obviously orange (yellow). Also, many units stencilled the unit designation and section onto the cooler in 4-6" high letters (sometimes larger), so it was harder to steal. There is/was little uniformity in the painting or marking of the coolers, so let your imagination run wild!
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 02:07 AM UTC
Regarding the duffel bags, the entire square bottom panel is usually painted. However, the painting is often done in a rush, and is usually done using a wide brush or a roller. The edges are generally not even or straight, except by coincidence. Add in a bored private to do the painting, and things can get a little sloppy.

The stencilling is usually done with cardboard stencils, held in one hand while the other uses a spray can to apply the paint. The lettering is often fuzzy where the stencil is not firmly in contact with the surface. This effect could be tricky to duplicate. Let us know if you figure out a way do it.
 _GOTOTOP