_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Breech block on M-10 what Color? Also
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:44 AM UTC
I was thinking maybe oily steel or graphite.
What you all think?
Or just leave it in OD green.

Who makes decals for the 3" shells used on the thing?

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hello Jeff..

In Squadrons U.S. Tank Destroyers in action there are 2 good photos showing the gun inside the turret. both are prob the same vehicle and pretty spotless so prob brand new and shows most of the gun except the breech as what looks like olive drab. The outside of the breech is finished in a rough milled steel color, whice the inside of the Breech and the Breech block are a shinny polished steel color.

Also in photo's of older M-10's that have prob been repainted i've seen everything but the interier of the breech as an olive drab.

I think the reason being is that on the M-10 quite a bit of the gun can be seen through the top of the turret and you it was painted olive drab same as the turret interier so that is wouldn't be too noticeable from the air....

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Jeff..

In Squadrons U.S. Tank Destroyers in action there are 2 good photos showing the gun inside the turret. both are prob the same vehicle and pretty spotless so prob brand new and shows most of the gun except the breech as what looks like olive drab. The outside of the breech is finished in a rough milled steel color, whice the inside of the Breech and the Breech block are a shinny polished steel color.

Also in photo's of older M-10's that have prob been repainted i've seen everything but the interier of the breech as an olive drab.

I think the reason being is that on the M-10 quite a bit of the gun can be seen through the top of the turret and you it was painted olive drab same as the turret interier so that is wouldn't be too noticeable from the air....

I have the book but must of missed it.

Makes sense on the Color deal, forgot they never had Jets in them days.
Thanks
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 06:33 AM UTC
Hi Jeff,
The exterior of the breech itself is OD. Interior surfaces are oily steel. The breech block (that's the sliding part) is oily steel. In addition, many crews painted a white stripe around the opening in the rear of the breech. This was so the loader got the round IN the breech in blackout conditions. Slamming a Point Detonating fuse against the outside of the breech resulted in soiled underwear.
Best,
Matt
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 01:37 PM UTC
Thanks Matt makes even more sense.
Can't even bail out that fast
 _GOTOTOP