_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Build-a-Tool Campaign Entry
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 02:31 AM UTC
Well some of you know I am building a wooden ship - The Independence.
Wood presents a whole set of challenges. The first major one for me was getting a straight piece of wood stock around a curved hull......

The process is simple in theory - soak it in water, and bend it to shape, apply to model.....

So how do you get the shape and keep it? A bending jig.

So two birds one stone BAT campaign entry and an Independence progress maker.

I took some scrap wood and made a 90 degree bending stop. I then marked out an adjustment grid for bending pins. The grid size was based on the pin size. I didn't want to get things to close and have a weak base. So I measured it out drilled it out and cut the pins tall enough for my forseeable needs.
I simply deployed a nice spring clamp to hold the model piece in place. I traced out the shape of my bend and trasnfered it to the pins. Then I clamped my piece in.
There will be some give in the final dried piece of wood so I don't have to be super accurate, just get it close and then clamp glue and nail the heck out of the final piece.
This tool is awsome - fits the bill, reusable, multipurpose (you can use it for plastic too), and cheap - all scrap $0.
Raw materials

Contructed tool

Transfer/setup

In Use
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 05:50 AM UTC
Cool idea Scott

It looks like it works great. I really like the cost as well!!

I haven't even started on my ideas yet. I have a couple in mind but I have way too much going on right now. Luckily we have until the end of the year before the campaign ends and I plan on taking full advantage of that!!

HARV
 _GOTOTOP