_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
compressor
willow
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
entire network: 129 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 01:26 PM UTC
Hello:

Have decided to purchase an airbrush & compressor. I have a contact at Iwata who will give me a good discount on an airbrush/compressor combination.

I am looking at either the smart jet pro compressor (IS-875) or the power jet (IS-900). The smaller smart jet compressor was recommended by the Iwata technical guru. It does not have a tank. The tech guru has said a tank style compressor is way overkill for my requirements (armour & aircraft 1/35 and 1/48 scale).

Should I invest in a more expensive Iwata compressor with a tank??

If so, the next model up is the IS-900 which has a 3.5 L tank - but it's also almost double the price!

I'm after some advice on tank or no tank - hopefully from Iwata users.

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/compressors/smartpro_info.jsp

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/compressors/power_info.jsp

Out of these two models, which is more suitable to be requirements. Money is not that much of an issue, but I don't want to waste dollars on something that is way overkill for modelling - ideas/help please?

Thanks.....Willow (sorry the links didn't work.......)

linkname linkname
mpatman
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 05:32 PM UTC
Hi Ian,

i have an Iwata airbrush but use a larger commercial compressor. I use this as i am using a room near my young son, so i can fill the tank before he goes to sleep and usually have enough to last at least one session. i guess it depends if noise is an issue for you whilst painting.
seanlivo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 19 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:43 PM UTC
I've been using a 2.5HP Compressor from supercheap with a good quality Regulator/Water Trap and it's does the good fine plus you can alway use the compressor for other things.
willow
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
entire network: 129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 02:08 PM UTC
Hi - Ended up going with the Iwata IS-925 compressor which has a handle tank. The dealer (Iwata Sydney head office) gave me a very good price for this compressor along with a Iwata CH Plus airbrush and free delivery.

Thanks to everyone who gave me their comments. Best...............Iain
 _GOTOTOP