_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Daves Rules of Superglue
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 04:54 PM UTC
Just spent a session adding some metal details. Seems that three rules influence the behaviour of my superglue.
1 Any part to be glued will tend to become irresistably attracted to everything except the model.
2 The possibility of a part becoming unglued is inversely proportional to the desirability.
3 Parts that need to be relocated after glueing will always be totally immovable.

Regards Dave
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 05:06 PM UTC
Nice one Dave. Superglue has to be one of the most helpful and at the same time most unhelpful adhesives ever invented.
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 05:57 PM UTC
You got that right Dave :-)
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 10:45 PM UTC
LOL :-) :-)

Great humor Dave!

Mario M.
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 268 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 01:08 AM UTC
Super Glue also Likes to get to know your Fingers and then Have them Meet eachother if you know what I mean Getting Them To Seperate FroM "MEETING" Eachother is another story Super Glue and Fingers Really like to "BOND" With Eachother
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 11:27 AM UTC
Super glue IS NOT a good cocktail ingredient !!!

Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 11:55 AM UTC
And its Also not Very good Shampoo #:-) Or Hand Lotion :
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 01:11 PM UTC
Superglue was developed for the express purpose of putting people together. Some time ago I had an incident with an x-acto blade... my finger got in the way the the wicked knife attacked. Well, I was in the middle of very delicate work and needed to finish, so I put some superglue on the wound. It stopped the bleeding and the wound healed very quickly. Despite my wound I continued to persevere in the building of the current kit... never did get that purple heart.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 02:04 PM UTC
I know what you mean. I also had a buddy who ran into barbed wire while hunting. He tore his leg up pretty badly and didn't have any decent bandages that size. Duct tape comes in handy for everything, including first aid. He taped his leg up until he was back from his trip. Seeing him remove that tape was an adventure in and of itself. Let me assure you that those are words you will never hear in the Bible.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 03:07 PM UTC
Here's another tidbit you probably didn't know about CA glue... my cousin is a Radiologist in Hattiesburg, MS. He does real sophiticated specialized radiology work like ffinding ultra fine problems in the brain , heart, and lungs.

H tells me that for annurisms of the brain and heart (basically bulges in veins that often pop and kill) they snake a hair-fine needle through the neck's jugular vein to the weak spot and .... fill it with CA glue, which forms a permanent block of the weak wall....

Hey - who knew!?
Iron-Fist
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 101 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 03:42 PM UTC
I saw this on history channel, apparently CA started life in a DuPont(maybe, can't quite remember) lab. Technicians were trying to make a new aircraft canopy material, and they put the CA in a mold, and when it dried, Hey! They couldn't get it apart! Superglue has also been used in Europe instead of stitches for many years.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 04:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Superglue was developed for the express purpose of putting people together. Some time ago I had an incident with an x-acto blade... my finger got in the way the the wicked knife attacked. Well, I was in the middle of very delicate work and needed to finish, so I put some superglue on the wound. It stopped the bleeding and the wound healed very quickly. Despite my wound I continued to persevere in the building of the current kit... never did get that purple heart.

geez, kinda like the Brits werewolf movie....

Another rule......

No matter how much time you spending looking for a missing PE rivet on the floor, it would turn out superglued to your finger
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 05:20 PM UTC
The sticky fingers problem is why I always have a bottle of cheap Nail Polish remover on the bench. It contains acetone and ethyl acetate, one of which is a solvent for Ca glue. It has saved me from a couple of embarrassing moments. I'm sure my wife would NOT like to drive me to hospital at midnight just to get my fingers undone/separated.

Brian
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 01:08 AM UTC
Dont Attempt Pull my Finger jokes after handling super glue
Jock
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 01:40 AM UTC
I bought a superglue at a show last year called PascoFix.It's a glue that cures in the absence of oxygen,like when you hold two things tightly together.Will not bond skin because of the oxygen in the body,or so the salesman said.Whatever, it works,or doesn't ,depending on how you look at it.I let my son use it with out worrying about him gluing his forehead to the table or any other calamity.JOCK P.S. the worst I've done was glue my finger to the table and yes,the debonder was in the cupboard across the room.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 08:03 AM UTC
Dave, you have hit the nail on the head!

~Chip
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 02:50 AM UTC
I think superglue is useful enemy. At some times, parts won't stick together, they stick in your hands. They always leave white markings.
 _GOTOTOP