_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Old guy thinking about returning to the hobby
buckeyeshooter
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 08:05 AM UTC
Howdy all,

I modeled a lot in my younger years but got away from it (jobs, marriage, kids, etc.). I've been toying with the idea of giving it a shot. Was looking around the web and found this site. Gotta say, you guys are intimidating for someone considering jumping back in! Nothing I ever built or painted compares to what I've been looking at in the diaramas forum. You folks do great work. I've been impressed by the work and the decidedly international flare of the forums so far.

I'm looking for cheap kits on ebay to maybe get my feet wet again so we'll see what happens.

I just wanted to say hello.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 08:30 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Jerry

To the contrary,I am a fairly new modeller myself but I found everyone very accomodating,patient,helpful,and very nice.I am made to feel very comfortable with my questions,I have even posted a few models to which I recieved nothing but nice words and constructive criticism,never harsh or demeaning.
I say go for it,jump right in,you will see how much fun it is,join a group build,post some pics,you will be encouraged,and be sure to comment on others work.It is a good interchange.Also check out www.finescalemoder.com.very good also.

Anthony C
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 08:54 AM UTC
Yeah, come on in Jerry, what do you build? Whatever it is it'll fit in somewhere here on Kitmaker. Welcome aboard.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hello Jerry,
Looking forward to seeing photos of your work. Do you build dioramas?

Cheers,
Charles
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 04:19 PM UTC
Nothing to think about! Do it, you'll like it .
Actually, there are many among us that fall into the "returning to the hobby" category, and like you I was a little intimidated. But there is no pressure here to be a super star, just good semi clean fun.
You'll find your self ramping up fast with all the knowledge here. Searching through the old threads will come up with all kinds of good stuff.

Welcome Jerry

-Bruce

jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 05:18 PM UTC
I was, I guess, like you, out of the hobby for quite a few years. Then I got back in. I build for my own enjoyment, if someone else likes what I do great, but whats important to me is whether or not I enjoyed doing it. I have to say that, as someone who grew up on Revell and Monogram and Frog and Aurora, and when there were a limited number of kits, this is the golden age of modelling. I like to build Shermans, and for years there were only a couple of kits, not, with Aftermarket stuff, you can build just about any version built. When I was a kid you had the Revell and Airfix Sopwith Camels, and the Airfix, while supposedly a Navy Camel was really bad. Now, through Roden, you can make something like 4 versions of Camel. Again when I was a kid you had the Fujimi USS Saratoga, now, thanks to trumpeter, you can make a Between the Wars Saratoga, and the air group actually looks like the real planes, not just little globs of plastic. Its just so cool what you can do today!

John
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 05:41 PM UTC
Welcome, Jerry.

There is a buy/sell forum here, too. May get some kits cheap.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hi Jerry! Welcome back to the glue sniffing circle. Everybody willing to help for the asking.
Post some pics soon!
Cheers!
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 08:09 AM UTC
Jerry,

Come on in the water is fine! I too recently came back to building after about 15 years away. My first actual build turned out very nice and I am working on a couple of others. The folks on these boards are a good group of fellows. Sure they make to top notch builds and they sure can intimidate you with their quality, but they will give you their secrets and help you become a better builder as well.

No matter your interest you will find a good group of guys out there who will help you out.

HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:47 AM UTC
Welcome Jerry,

You will find a lot of us "OLD GUYS" around here.

Don't hesitate to ask for anything. There is a great wealth of knowledge here.

HARV
buckeyeshooter
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:34 AM UTC
Thanks for all the kind replies.

Just to clarify, by "intimidating" I was referring to the quality of the work displayed, not the attitudes of the posters. From what I read, everyone seems very supportive and helpful.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:56 PM UTC
Hi, My work also is nowhere near most of these modelers, but I have learned alot about my hobby on these sites. I build for the fun of it ! Last month I entered my 1st Armorama Campaign. Happy Modeling....
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 3,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 204 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 10:54 AM UTC
Welcome Jerry,

This is a great site. Help is just a click away if you ever need it.

Be sure to check out the campaigns. They are usually a lot of fun to participate in.

HobbyLobby with 40% off coupons is a great place to get cheap kits.
Bink123
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 08:33 AM UTC
Greetings, Jerry.

I stopped scale modeling back in about 1965/66 when I was 12/13. I started again about 2 1/2 years ago when i was 53.

The hands aren't as steady, nor the eyes as sharp.

The quality of model kits have improved immensely and so have paints, glues and everything else.

Good Luck, welcome back to the fold.

thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 02:51 PM UTC
Hi Jerry . Welcome to the best site , Lots of tips and help when ever you need it .
Enjoy and have fun .
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 09:16 PM UTC
Hi Jerry
Welcome. I have to admit that I've only been back modelling about 5years after a gap of 20 odd years similar reasons to you. Have to be honest I'm very Glad that I have because I've now got an even bigger group of friends with the clubs that I belong to & the Guy's on line.
When I need to escape from the hassles of the modern life I disappear into my shed & peace is restored for awile, So Jump in & have some fun.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC
Yep, I'm .5 plus centuries old myself. This is my third real go-round with model building and at least a decade passed between each re-entry. Model building today is a different world from way back when. There are so many more subjects and so much variety. The kits are so unbelievably better (for the most part). I still remember the first precision kit I built where the seams disappeared when the parts fit together.
John_B
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 430 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 06:15 AM UTC
hi jerry

stop thinking of getting your feet wet
JUMP IN HEAD FIRST

i stopt modeling about 30 years ago and started back 1 year ago
i wish i did this much earlier

modeling is big fun..............and i am having lots of it

welcom back pall

john
FalkeEins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 868 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 06:22 AM UTC

Hi Jerry,

welcome ! Jim, Shaun, Terri & Richard summed it up perfectly....just looking is fine too ..I know I get a great deal of pleasure from the awesome builds here ....and while there are plenty of other great places where modellers hang out on the Net sometimes you get the feeling that this is a slightly more 'grown up' community ...
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:32 PM UTC
Ditto what Captain America said.

Look at Hobby Lobby coupons they have a few nice Tamiya kits that go together easy and also a Few Dragon kits that are good also.

Good luck and on the age thing well I am up their with you so give it a go again.

Welcome
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 09:09 AM UTC
Welcome to the site Jerry.
You'll be surprised at the number of older folks here, along with the number of youngsters.
Welcome back to the hobby.

Just call me a B.B.!
The kicker is Jerry hasn't been back since 4-1-08!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 04:08 PM UTC
Dave...he's still trying to find a "cheap kit" on ebay! {heck...so am I!!}
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 - 05:28 PM UTC
Hi Jerry,
Ebay is definitely the best way to find kits for less. It's also useful for finding out-of-production kits. I think it's fun, sometimes, to find old kits that I recognize, from having built them thirty years ago.
Also, I think there used to be more of a variety of subjects available in those days. But the quality of today's kits is superior.
Anyway, if you are interested in armor as well as aircraft, you might want to pick up a kit of a tank too. I love aircraft, they're much more colorful than tanks, but sometimes I feel like taking a break from all the sanding and puttying and masking and repainting. Also, if you screw something up, you can glue a bedroll or tarp over it to cover it up.
If you ever feel nostalgic, and want to look for some older kits, you might check out Gasoline Alley Antique Toys and Collectibles, www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/kits, and also Old Model Kits, www.oldmodelkits.com. I hope you have fun. And welcome to Aeroscale.
montythefirst
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 12:59 PM UTC
hi and welcome
 _GOTOTOP