Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Charles King is leaving the hobby -sorry guys
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,264 Posts
KitMaker Network: 254 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 05:40 AM UTC
Hi all. Yes...you read correctly. It's time for me to say bye bye to this wonderful hobby. Reason? Simple. No time, other interest, work related and lost interest. I would like to thank everyone of you who have supported me in all my builds. Thanks for all answer questioned that have enlighten me during my learning developement. I appreciated every said and advised.
Will I pick it up in the furture...do not know but you all will not be forgotten. Thank you again. Thanks everyone.
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 05:48 AM UTC
I will miss your outstanding modern builds Charles.

Lykke til videre.

Erik
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 05:56 AM UTC
Hi Charles. Firstly, Im very sorry to hear this. So I suppose this means we wont be seeing yourself or your most recent works now at the Open either? A real loss IMO. I know there has been building up a lot of interest in your work over the last few years, and many will be dissapointed.
I can understand in some ways, it does get hard trying to combine a time-demanding hobby like this and life, but giving up the hobby completely sounds a bit rash. Have you considered maybe packing it all away for some time a just taking a break? You have a real talent and having met you several times, a passion, that must be hard just to suddenly stop.
I wish you´d reconsider ... and pack things away until you get the urge again. How much do we have to twist your arm??

In the event that you wont change your mind and you´re determined to go through with this ... Id be interested in some styrene ...and some of the magic that comes with it!
Send me a mail or a PM.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 06:05 AM UTC
I vote for taking a break as well........... I have built Squat in a couple of months......... I've been going thru a nasty split with the GF of 3 years.......... I've been putting my energy into working and getting in better shape...LOL that and working on the house itself.......

Just take a break.... don't sell everything off!!!!!!!!

barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 07:23 AM UTC

Gonna miss ya Ti ..........saddens me to think you won't be around to keep me on my toes
Hope that you will come back before I go to the "scratchbuilders bench in the sky".....take care good frend and ..".May the Force stay with you "

aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 07:42 AM UTC
Well Charles, that certainly isn't the happiest news I've heard this week. But I do understand life changes, and the sudden disappearance of spare time in peoples lives. I'm also going through some drastic time changes in my life, but I'm not about to give up my hobby. Maybe I don't have all the time I use to have to do it, but even a few hours a week still brings wonderful relaxation from a hectic life. (even if it's just checking the forums and acting goofy once in a while!)
Hopefully you'll return to the hobby after things settle down, and time and situation changes come.
Hopefully you'll stop by and and least say hi to everyone when time permits.

I wish you fair winds and following sea on this portion of your journey through life.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:09 AM UTC
Sorry to hear of this Charles...
I'm certain this a decision that was not reached lightly, and therefore I will do nothing to attempt to persuade you to change your mind. I Will miss your imput on this and other sites, and although not having an active interest in modern stuff your work is fantastic...
Regards
Brad
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:32 AM UTC
Sorry to hear that and surprised since you always seem to find interesting subject.

I don't have much time either but I squeeze it in when I can.

Paul
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 12:46 PM UTC
Thanks for all the support guys. Maybe building one or two models in a year isn't that bad but the interest is gone for now...plus I have other interest that has taken up my time. As
well as work. So time to move on. If I ever do decide to start up again I'll like to start afresh. Steve , you have always been a big inspiration...so it is you who has kept me on my toes Everyone has pushed me to get better and has given me constructive critism which I am grateful for. Thanks.

Frank, I may still go the IPMS Open next month. BTW, My LAV III build is no more. It got trashed by accident Oh well....Thanks again for the support. Listen, I'll make a list of things I'm thinking of selling and pass them onto you.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 02:29 PM UTC
You will be back.

I've left twice and ultimately end up coming back. Enjoy your break and we will see you a while later.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 09:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, My LAV III build is not more. It got trashed by accident

I didn´t know this. Fan också ... its no wonder you feel like you do right now! I´ll give you a ring early next week for a chin-wag!
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 09:25 PM UTC
Yeah..Kinda depressing...so it went in the trash...Pissst off as hell but but...Thanks Frank. Will be looking forward to your call.
jasondiggs
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 120 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 06:21 PM UTC
ok. This is news to me. Sorry to hear this. Hope you decide to return soon to the hobby again. You have inspired us all with your fantastic builds. I for one am proud to call you my biggest inspiration. We will miss you. By the way, sorry to hear about your lav 3 being trashed. That must have been devasting. Again, the best of luck.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 08:19 PM UTC
Charles, I cant honestly say that we've been buddies, But i must say that I view this news with a heavy heart and troubled mind. I haven't been very vocal of late, but you and BARV (Steve Cruickshank Jr.) have been some major forces of inspiration for me. I have always admired the way that you can look at a potential creation, figure out the what if's & whyfores, and then (seemingly by willpower alone) manage to coax an unrepresented gem out of nothing but Skullsweat, styrene, paint, and dogged pursuit of "the Art". I understand your disenchantment (I haven't built a bloody thing in the year since my wife left me) but I can only see this as a blow to all of us. I'm certainly not attempting to influence your decision, but I believe I speak for the majority on this site at least when I say that the absence of your work ,dedication, and inspiration to we 'lesser mortals' will leave a large hole, not easily filled.
Within the last several months we have witnessed the departure form our field of another Modern Master, Barry Gaszo. I do not feel that I speak out of line in referring to at least the two of you as having equalled or even surpassed (& I may catch hell for this, but it's how I feel so I'll say it anyway,) The works of the 'Sainted masters' of our chosen feild of endeavour, Namely Francois Verlinden and Shepard Paine.
I wish you luck in life, whatever direction it may take you, & hope that one day you will rejoin the fold(not for our sake, but for yours.). If/when that should come to pass, rest assured there will be many who will remember your genius and welcome you back with great gladness.
Semper Fi
LD.
ErikHagglund
Visit this Community
Uppsala, Sweden
entire network: 120 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:30 PM UTC
Sorry to hear this ti. being such a fan of your work It will certainly be a blow to the community. Hope you do come back. Your builds have influence many and will continue to do do. Hope to see you soon back here.

BTW, sorry to hear about your LAV III. It must have been very hurtful to you after the amount of work you put into it.
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 03:30 AM UTC
Robert you are too kind...thank you....Erik and Jason thank you both. I will finish up the Stryker ESV with roller and mine explosive trailer before calling it quits. As for the LAV III I am not going to rebuild it. It's gone for good.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
entire network: 2,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 124 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 04:55 AM UTC
Charles

What a bad news from you and for Us, You have been a big source of inspiration with your modern builds for me and with all your tips have been incredible.

Just take a break and I hope to see you soon here or some where else.

Good luck for the future and take care

Cheers
Seb
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,556 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 05:08 AM UTC
What a shame Charles, as everyone else has said-you're work was stunning and a great inspiration to all us modern builders. But of course as you say, sometimes everything else in life gets the better of you and its time to take a break, so I wish you the best of luck in the future, and hope that we will see you some time in the future, hell i'll probably have to take a break at some point once i start working.

All the best Charles!
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 06:04 AM UTC
Much regards Rob & Seb. Thanks for the best wishes. I'll be sopping by once in a while.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:12 AM UTC
Sorry to hear it mate, I've enjoyed your fascinating, skilled builds.

Hope to see you back soon!