_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
My introduction (with a few questions)
AceCarona
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 03:58 PM UTC
Hello my name is kyler im from canada. i have been modeling for about a year now off and on. now i am fully into it and have recently built a stuart tank. now i can build a assembel models with great ease and perfection but i can not paint them like you great modlers do. now i know you cant just walk into it it takes practice but my question is is this natural talent and if not how do i practice?
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 818 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 06:05 PM UTC
Hi Kyler,

You practice like we all did by building and painting. The advantage you have is forums like these where you can read articles, posts and ask questions-learn from our mistakes. What kind of paint and how will you be applying it are important questions for us ask so that we have an starting point.
Welcome aboard.
AceCarona
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 06:26 AM UTC
i paint with a brush, i use testors model paint. i usualy build 1/35 scale but recently picked up 3 Hasegawa 1/72 kits off ebay for a really great deal. (m4 sherman,Panther g,Mk.1)
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 818 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 08:53 AM UTC
Model Master paints have become difficult to brush paint with over the years. I believe they've thinned them down. having said that you need a good soft brush and don't try to cover in 1 coat. Apply a light even coat even though it may be see through in some places. Let it dry and brush a light coat or Future floor polish over it and let that dry. This will prevent the 2nd coat from trying to pull up the first. Try this on the 1/72 kits as their smaller areas will cover easier. Someone else will, I'm sure chime in to offer more help. I haven't brush painted in 30 years

05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 02:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Model Master paints have become difficult to brush paint with over the years. I believe they've thinned them down. having said that you need a good soft brush and don't try to cover in 1 coat. Apply a light even coat even though it may be see through in some places. Let it dry and brush a light coat or Future floor polish over it and let that dry. This will prevent the 2nd coat from trying to pull up the first. Try this on the 1/72 kits as their smaller areas will cover easier. Someone else will, I'm sure chime in to offer more help. I haven't brush painted in 30 years

Mike's on it,Kyler. His method will work well in that scale. For 1/35 scale,you can do a thin light coat,wait a few days for it to fully harden, then do a second light coat.
If you are using the MM military flat sheen colors,you can thicken them up a little by adding very small amounts of talcum powder,(baby,bath,or foot talc will do). Experiment before doing your real project. The talc also will give the color an ultra dead flat non-glare sheen.
Welcome to the best site on the Web!
Rick
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 3,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 204 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 10:57 AM UTC
Welcome Kyler,

This is a great site. Help is just a click away if you ever need it.

To answer your question, Practice, practice, practice.

Be sure to check out the campaigns. They are usually a lot of fun to participate in.
montythefirst
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 01:01 PM UTC
hi and welcome
 _GOTOTOP