_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
modeling water
keen1932
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:26 PM UTC
need advice on /about water modeling.recomended products...
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 11:07 PM UTC
Hey Plubak
You are going to find it difficult to get many replies with such a brief and non specific message. Elaborate on what you do or don't know and what you are currently familiar with. What are you wanting to use it for? Making your posts a little more user friendly will also help. So start again, and you'll be sure to get some (more) replies to steer you in the right direction.
Brad
gmccabe01
Visit this Community
Cork, Ireland
entire network: 67 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 01:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

need advice on /about water modeling.recomended products...

I have used WATER EFFECTS by Woodland Scenics (www.woodlandscenics.com) or
WATER EFFECTS by Games Workshop (www.games-workshop.com)
They both look like and have texture like woodglue (elmers for those in the U.S.) and dry like the name suggests. No mixing or water very easy to use.
Not sure what you were asking but hope this helps
Sangamon
Visit this Community
Burgenland, Austria
entire network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 12:31 AM UTC
Hi there,

here is what I use for water and please do not laugh at me:
Toiletpaper, wall paperglue, transparent silicon, various colors, and lots of Future,

cheap, simple and very effective, look here: http://usns.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=113&Itemid=124

How is it done? quite easy. I apply the toilet-paper with that glue layer by layer to the wooden base, where ever I want a wave I add more layers or I even stack the paper in soak it in the glue. For this I normally use a large brush and sometime my fingers (pretty messy, so watch what you will touch also or your in deep trouble), specially when you are married) This way you can form almost any kind of surface and off course wave tips too. Just make sure the glue is thick and sticky enough so that the formed paper stays the way you made it. When the whole mass is completely dry, which will take at least a day or two sometimes depending on the thickness of paper up to a week I start coloring it with ordinary colors but I do prefer oil colors for this work.
After this is dry too I add some silicon at the wave tips and around the hull which I fix with silicone on the base itself. Finally I add several layers of Future with my airbrush Thats it.

Hope you like it this way and if there are any other questions about this technique let me know.

Keep on modeling
René
www.usns.biz
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there,

here is what I use for water and please do not laugh at me:
Toiletpaper, wall paperglue, transparent silicon, various colors, and lots of Future,

cheap, simple and very effective....

Hope you like it this way and if there are any other questions about this technique let me know.

Keep on modeling
René
www.usns.biz

Absolutely stunning Rene', trust me, there will be no laughter at using TP with results like this!

I would love to have a step by step, "how to" article in text and images for this method for MSW...have you ever put one together for any of your builds? (or thought about it? )

Cheers,
Mark
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 01:35 AM UTC
Here is what I use for water. It's easy to get fairly easy to work with, you have to be patient. You have to pour it in thin layers and wait till it cures. Always test it with 'throw away' pieces of plastic because it does generate heat that can distort some softer plastics. This feature is about pouring resin in general, I simply make a 'mold' of a pond or stream.
Resin Pouring

Here are a few features that show how I do it.
Check out page 11 and on
Got'cha Covered

This one shows how to get 3D with it.
Sparrow

You can pour it over plastic, just test it first.

You can use it with natural materials too
Sangamon
Visit this Community
Burgenland, Austria
entire network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hey Mark,

if you want to know exactly how to use this technique, just as I already tried to explain in my first post, you need a wooden base for your ship model, you either mark exactly where the model will go or you simply place it right there from the very beginning, the choice is yours but I prefer to add the ship later. Then I start with a first layer wall-paper glue over the entire wooden base, lots of it do not hesitate to soak the entire base. put a first layer of toilet-paper right in this glue and fix it by using a fairly large brush. At every place you want a wave, simply take a few sheets of that paper crush it in your hand and glue it on the base with lots of glue and the brush. try already to give then some kind of form with your fingers or the brush. The glue is perfect when it is real sticky! then repeat this step by adding several layers of paper and lots and lots of glue (its cheap so don't worry) That way you can actual form real good looking waves. At the end let it all dry completely depending on how much layers and glue you used this can take at least a day or up to a entire week, so be patient! If everything is completely dry you can start to color the entire water surface with almost any kind of colors I would not use water colors but any other kind of color should work just fine! When this is finished I use ordinary transparent silicon to add some tips at the waves and I also fix the shipmodel finally on that base with the silicone you can close the small gap between the hull and the hardened paper surface. When everything is dry I finally add several layers of "Future" floor polish to give everything the "wet" look.

If anything is still not clear, do not hesitate to ask again I have done this several times and I have tried several other techniques as well. But I always came back to my original way, because it is by far the most simple , effective and cheap one! If anyone knows a better way to simulate water, PLEASE let me know.

If you have never done this before perhaps you should take a piece of wood and try first and you will see how easy this is!
Keep on modeling
René
www.usns.biz
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 03:26 AM UTC
Blasted! Beautiful work Rene' and Scott, beautiful!
SAS007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 05:42 AM UTC
I use PVA glue for my water effect mainly if I do a ship dio.
My first attempt is posted here:

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/99167#819246

also

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/108837#896769

Hope it helps.
Steve C Jnr
 _GOTOTOP