_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Tiger 1 early colour scheme
JJSSJ2
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:17 AM UTC
I've been busy the past few months, and I want to get back into modeling. It is the first time I have constructed a 1/35 scale model.
I have started to construct the tiger 1 early period; however I am not sure of the colour schemes.
What paint brand would be suitable for a beginner?
In military modeling what is better to use acrylic or enamel, or do they both have their advantages and disadvantages and it depends on me?
Thinning paints has always been a disadvantage for me; I’m not total sure about the ratio on acrylic nor enamel, for airbrushing.
I’m not sure how to get the correct colour to match the colour scheme of the model?

Thanks, will be posting pictures of my process
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 12:55 AM UTC
As far as I know, most early Tiger I's were painted in dark grey. Those used in N. Africa were painted in a yellow similar to dunkelgelb but just a bit different. Sometimes it looks a little greener to me and sometimes a little browner. And I believe those used in Tunisia had a unique color of yellow-green.

Quoted Text

What paint brand would be suitable for a beginner?

Any of the readily available paints are good. I use acrylics and like model master and polly scale. Tamiya are good but I've found them troublesome.

Quoted Text

In military modeling what is better to use acrylic or enamel, or do they both have their advantages and disadvantages and it depends on me?

It's a matter of personal preference. Acrylics are easier to clean up and smell less, enamels are easier to airbrush and usually adhere to the plastic better.

Quoted Text

Thinning paints has always been a disadvantage for me; I’m not total sure about the ratio on acrylic nor enamel, for airbrushing.

You usually want to get the consistency of lowfat milk. There's no set ratio, it all depends on the consistency of the paint you're using.

Quoted Text

I’m not sure how to get the correct colour to match the colour scheme of the model?

Most of the paint brands have specific colors already. For example german dunkelgelb is widely available and is sometimes called german armor yellow or german dark yellow (dunkelgelb literally means dark yellow).
A good starting point is the kit instructions color recommendations.

_GOTOTOP