Hosted by Matt Leese
Glue Type and Applicator Recommendations
FLiPSiDE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 75 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 08:33 AM UTC
So I'm wondering what type of glue and what type of applicators other people are using for plastic kit assembly. I know using a small paint brush with a polystyrene cement (like testors or tamiya) is popular but I'm curious as to what other types of applicators others currently use/recommend? I do find the small paint brush technique to be handy but with small parts in tight places I'd prefer some type of applicator (such as: small size hobby syringe with tiny gauge glue tip). However I find re-using a plastic hobby syringe and tips to be difficult since they can be so hard to clean. However I also end up feeling wasteful tossing each syringe/tip in the trash after a single model building session.

I'm also wondering if anybody has experience with the Revell brand Contacta Professional glue bottle w/ applicator? Is it useful for the application of a small amount of glue and working with small parts? Are there any other model cement types which include a tiny applicator built right-into the bottle (as that would be perfect for my needs).

Thanks in advance for any advice you all could offer...
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 03:14 PM UTC
The old touch and flow applicator works well for me, on long seams. TENEX and Tamyia's extra thin works well with this. (I use an an insulin syringe to fill it).

I also use the Model Masters black container with the metal tube, but find the cement a little too thick for my liking, so I thin it a little with good old fashion Testors liquid. I simply squeeze the container to get out the air, invert into the bottle and suck up some liguid, and shake. (A little liquid does a lot of thinning, so go lightly until you get a consistancy you like).
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 01:14 AM UTC
Best styrene glue on the planet - Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, with a teeny brush built in.
I put my Tenax in an empty Tamiya bottle just for the brush.
For CA glue, Insta-Cure+ gap filling.
And a toothpick.
 _GOTOTOP