_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Thinner...
mo_kio
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 46 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 04:34 PM UTC
Guys, wat type of thinner do you use for your paints? I read that there are thinner for both lacquer and enamel paints. I'm currently using MR COLOR paints and its of lacquer base, and the thinner i'm using is just thinner from DIY stores.

Then comes the problem, I tried to wheather using enamel paint and while cleaning up with thinner, my base coat of lacquer came off as well...
I was wondering if the thinner from DIY stores are too "strong" or that I must get specific enamel thinner to get the job done.....
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 06:19 PM UTC
The thinner from the DIY store might be too strong. What kind of thinner are you using btw?

If you want to be on the safe side. Get the thinners from those modelling shops, though they are more expensive.

mo_kio
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:13 PM UTC
The thinner I'm using is just those u can get at any DIY stores. Maybe they are really too "strong".....
madcat911
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 112 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 03:34 AM UTC
Enamel and lacquer paints have their individual thinners. For mixing, use the paints that can be found in hobby shops.

DIY store thinners are lacquer-based and are very strong so they can be used for washing your brushes and airbrush. However, do not use them to mix paint as it is too strong. I've seen a case where someone accidentally spilled this type of thinner on his model. Not only did the paint come off, the plastic under the paint also melted.

For cheap lacquer-based mixing thinner, you can go to Nakamoto's shop, Parklane Shopping Mall basement. 1 litre for $15. I'm not too sure about enamel thinner as I don't really use it.

Hope this helps!
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 03:49 AM UTC
To be on the safer side... Stick to the brand's own thinners...
vin1973
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 14 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I am new here......For me, i try DIY shop thinner and find it really strong....therefore no choice but to buy expensive ones from the hobby shop....

BTW beside the one in Parklane, any other shops that have cheap and good thinner for laquer and enamel paint.....pls advice
theduke2sg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 63 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 05:40 PM UTC
Use thinners that is specific for the brand and type of paint. For example, for Mr. Colour, use Mr. Colour Thinner.

Commercial Thinners or DIY shop thinner are too strong and will burn the pigments and melt your plastics. Your model will end up too rough. Use these thinners only for cleaning your airbush.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 09:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Use thinners that is specific for the brand and type of paint. For example, for Mr. Colour, use Mr. Colour Thinner.

Commercial Thinners or DIY shop thinner are too strong and will burn the pigments and melt your plastics. Your model will end up too rough. Use these thinners only for cleaning your airbush.

My advice is to stick to the specific brand's paint thinners. Calvin, if you say only use commercial thinners for cleaning airbrushes because they are strong... then I hope you're wearing a commercial spray mask, coz if you say they would burn and melt - I can't imagine what they can do your lungs and brains... You may not realise the impact now, because it is a long-term effect like inhaling smoke...

Lawrence
mo_kio
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 05:12 AM UTC
Guess have to do the right way and not be so cheapskate anymore. Thanks for all the advice guys.
hoplocat
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 07:14 PM UTC
Of course your paint came off. Lacquer thinner is alcohol based. It will clean off EVERYTHING. If you are weathering/washing using enamel or oil paint,you need to use turpentine. Hardware shops may label both as thinners so know what you are buying.Turpentine will also corrode bare plastic so becareful when using. You can aslo use the turpentine from artshops which are suppose to be milder.
Dkrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 17 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 02:35 PM UTC
USE INDUSTRIAL GRADE THINNER
 _GOTOTOP