_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
AFV Modeller 9 is out
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 07:00 AM UTC
Wow, after travelling for a few weeks, I was going through my mail and saw AFV Modeller No. 9. Really impressive article and diorama entitled "endstation' and is on the front cover as well as artilcles on making your own buildings, a Sherman Firefly and detailed photos on a real T55.

I really think this is one of the better magazines to buy in terms of layout, photos, inspiration and instruction and I have subscriptions to just about all of the major ones.

GR8Voyager
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 07:07 AM UTC
I like the photography and the subject matter (mostly), but for the money I think I get more out of my MMiR subscription.

The endstation and building construction from ceramic plaster articles were helpful, the Monte Cassion Marder less so, and the Wespe also. I don't really need an essay on the Japanese dio philosophy, but details on the how and what of the painting.. that said Adam Wilder's T34 dio article ( that was ALL painting details) dragged on FAR too long for my $$.

The T55 pics were nice, but I'd have liked bigger images and their new products pages cannot hold a candle to the new releases section of MMiR

I like AFV Modeler, have all the issues and have a standing order at VLS, but am wondering if it is REALLY worth the $$.

my US$0.02
Mike
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 08:44 AM UTC
Mike, stop giving your $.02 worth and you can afford the magazine!

Seriously, I like, and have a subscription to MMiR as well, but I enjoy the color photography and the tone of the articles in AFV more.

We will have to agree to disagree, but please - keep your money in your pocket.

GR8Voyager
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 09:28 AM UTC
I have a subscription to both, and for my tastes, enjoy AFV much more. Too much text, and black and white photos in MMiR. I like big colorful photos! #:-)
 _GOTOTOP