_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Argh... need more space...
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
entire network: 270 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 06:57 PM UTC
Yesterday my wife gave me three large empty "banana-boxes", and asked me nicely if maybe I could put away some of the built and not built kits and dios.

How do you guys store your dios when they are finished and you do not have room to display them?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 12:19 AM UTC
I don't have that many, but I just keep them behind my work area. But I imagine that someday I will be faced with the problem of space.

~Chip :-)
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 01:24 AM UTC
You could always try filling the banana boxes with other space using items in the house. Things like pictures of relatives, the wife's little trinkets and collectibles, food in the cupboards. This would probably gain you great amounts of space to show off some more of your models and dios.
This of course is only one theory, I personally don't think it would work in my household based on imperical data gathered through many years of marriage. But there is always the off chance it might work in yours.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 02:28 AM UTC
I have taken several dioramas to the local American Legion post and they put them into the display case. That type of thing may be one option...
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 02:29 AM UTC
I display mine on various shelves around the house. I am aware that they don't 'fit' in with some of the decore so I stay away from certain rooms. They are out in full view, desks, shelves, book cases. I am planning on building a shelf just for dioramas.
Some of the older ones are in a display book case in the garage (where my workshop is).
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 03:43 AM UTC
I'm going to buy a bigger house... otherwise my wife will not come with three "banana boxes" she will throw out of the window me and my models in the order!!!
Ciao
JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 03:54 AM UTC
Or, you can only build 1/72 kits or 28 mm figs...

My own direction has been more toward figures lately. I find figures much easier to sneak under the "wifely radar" than a Morser Karl! #:-)
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 04:11 AM UTC
I have a display case in the living room (yeah ain't my wife great!!!) I have a rotation system going on ...The new kits get placed on the top shelf and each other kit gets moved over or down to the next level...so every time I put a new kit in I have to take one out ..I then take the oldest ones back downstairs where they finish off their days on the shelf above my work table ...since I only build 2 or three kits a year ,this works out to a good long lifespan for most of my kits ...Now my Karl will probably knock a couple of kits out for sure...!!

Rick
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
entire network: 270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 04:28 AM UTC
shermanfreak, I like your idea... store all the OTHER STUFF on the attic...

I'll go home and talk to the madame... or maybe not... :-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My own direction has been more toward figures lately. I find figures much easier to sneak under the "wifely radar" than a Morser Karl! #:-)

One of the advantages of the Dark SIde. Another, anyone can appreicate a well painted figure, closer to traditional ART than armor or aircraft. A well painted figure has less "Toy Response" as well. Wives even look at figures and say things like, ""That looks very real."
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 528 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 05:36 AM UTC
I'm planing to build a shelf that goes all the way around my room to put my models and dio's on. That will give me 35 feet of model shelf! And if I need more, just put up another shelf under that one until its models and dio's floor to ceiling :-)
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 06:00 AM UTC
To be more seroius this time what I can suggest is something I do down here when the space shrinks:
- I lend them to a museum for displaying and after a while I swap them with the "new entries" (some other organizations will be glad to display them too)
- I get more shelves to put them in so I can maximize the space (and the wife is not so upset, at least they look more tidy )
- The worst pieces of my collection are boxed and put apart for future reshuffling and parked at various relatives houses and apartments (my wife is so happy when I do that that she offers to update the model inventory!!!)
Ciao

_GOTOTOP