_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
M 1128 Gun in action
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:28 PM UTC
http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=162910&ESRC=soldiertech.nl

Never knew it was an auto loader and ejector.
seems to be a pretty big gun when used like the crew is in for a ride.
Think maybe a tad over sized.
Wonder if a Beefed up Suspension.
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 05:09 AM UTC
Whoa... Didn't know it was using an autoloader too! I like the part where the empty shell flies outta the ejector!
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 4,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 04:46 PM UTC
Yup, it has an autoloader....very high tech...but.....it only carries 18 rounds of ammunition in the carousel.

It only has a crew of three....who did you think loaded the 105 mm rounds?

I don't think there have been any changes to the basic suspension.....that is why there is so much rocking when firing both to the front and broadside......even with the recoil absorbing muzzle brake there are still very visible effects of the blast and recoil....the high center of gravity doesn't help much either.

Too big of a gun?...not at all....the mission of the MGS is to provide fast and very accurate fire support for assaulting Infantry. It is ideally to be used from a range outside of an enemy's weapons.....a bigger gun means it can be further away and engage targets and move to alternate firing positions quickly.

Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 05:43 PM UTC
The recoil doesn't look too bad. A lot less than what I used to go thru on my Sheridan from what I could see. Being limited to 18 rounds would concern me though. I have a feeling they will figure out a way to increase that some how. Maybe draw on some of the points that the M-8 AGS had, although I can't recall what its ammo storage was at the moment. Looks to be a promising addition to the Stryker line up. Thanks for the link. "Q"
sneakypete
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:51 PM UTC
The ejection port looks like the weak point on the turret. Put an RPG up the back of that and ignite the ammo. Does the commander ride in the turret or in the hull? I only ask because the M-2 on the turret would only be accessable when the tube is over the front.

-Dan
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The recoil doesn't look too bad. A lot less than what I used to go thru on my Sheridan from what I could see. Being limited to 18 rounds would concern me though. I have a feeling they will figure out a way to increase that some how. Maybe draw on some of the points that the M-8 AGS had, although I can't recall what its ammo storage was at the moment. Looks to be a promising addition to the Stryker line up. Thanks for the link. "Q"

Good God Man a lot Less then the Recoil Gosh who the heck is holding the coffee then surely not me.
My hat is off to you then
Great auto loader.
Can't wait for the AFV Club kit of it in May.
LHS has me one on order. ;-)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The ejection port looks like the weak point on the turret. Put an RPG up the back of that and ignite the ammo. Does the commander ride in the turret or in the hull? I only ask because the M-2 on the turret would only be accessable when the tube is over the front.

-Dan

The only thing would be to get behind it which would be a feat in itself remember more then one plus Bradleys and the Straightlegs and folks like "Q" with that sniper rifle looking for you are with it also so kind of hard to get a shot behind it I would think.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

-Dan
The only thing would be to get behind it which would be a feat in itself remember more then one plus Bradleys and the Straightlegs and folks like "Q" with that sniper rifle looking for you are with it also so kind of hard to get a shot behind it I would think.

I noticed that spot too. My guess is that more than likely a slat armor configuration or other type of armor will be developed to protect this area. There is always the chance of Jihad Joe the suicidal warrior making a mad dash to get a shot at it. Wouldn't be the first time one of them had tried something of the sort. Its like any other new vehicle or military eqipment for that matter, as it need to get the bugs worked out. Certainly impressive to watch if nothing else. As to the recoil thing on my Sheridan, 15" of recoil which would routinely lift the #3 roadwheel, break parts in the turret and other places, injure the crew (especially when shot over the side). I can recall in one pull of the trigger, losing my comanders armored tub, my gunner breaking his wrist fromt he turret traverse handle spinning back into the wrist breaking his nose from getting hit in the face with the gunners site, I chipped my elbow from slamming it into the cupola drive motor, and my loader getting sprayed with hydraulic fluid from a ruptured gun line. The only one unscathed was my driver. But we had a cool coffee thermos holder that never spilled a drop. It sat in a swivel and moved with the tanks movement. Sort of like a gyro scope effect. In four years we never lost a thermos while shooting during gunnery. One of my crew made it. It caught on and soon other crews wanted them too. For as much pain that thing inflicted I miss my Sheri "Q"
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:45 PM UTC
I am glad that somebody does I guess that most do not after reading your reply and all the broken parts to go along with it.
Did they come with a Medic on Board.
 _GOTOTOP