_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
question about aftermarket add-ons
Metal_blast
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 06:53 AM UTC
Hello,

I've been pondering about buying aftermarket add-ons for some of my yet to be built kits. I've been building all of my past kits out-of-box and with my modeling skills improving, might want to invest in aftermarket add-ons to add more realism onto my models.

Here's my question, do you have to add the aftermarket photo-etched pieces in the process of constructing a model kit, or are they add-ons after the out-of-box pieces have been all glued together?

My fear is that if I build my kits and do decide to purchase an aftermarket add-on, that I cannot properly include them into the model as photo-etched pieces designed to replace in-box pieces are already glued down.

To be more specific I'm looking into the dragon 1/35 88mm Flak 36 Anti-Aircraft Gun detail set

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=LNRLE35054

and 1/35 Cyber Hobby Panther G Late UPGRADE & CONV

http://www.dragonusaonline.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CHC3833

As well, what type of adhesive or cement works best in gluing PE parts? I've read that Krazy Glue works or any "super-glue". But does regular plastic cement work in some instances or even elmer's white glue?

Thanks.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 07:10 AM UTC
Alexander,

My thoughts on this:

Quoted Text

do you have to add the aftermarket photo-etched pieces in the process of constructing a model kit, or are they add-ons after the out-of-box pieces have been all glued together?

Most PE is designed to replace a kit part (though there are parts that add to the kit that which the manufacturer neglected to include)...the best way to do this is follow both sets of instructions (kit and PE) at the same time. The PE instructions will tell you what parts are to be replaced and how the PE is supposed to be formed. If you build the kit and then later try to add a PE set, you're going to set yourself up for trouble. Ideally, get the kit and the AM stuff before you even start the build....

Aftermarket barrels are simple, they generally replace the entire barrel and some come with updated resin mantlets. On occasion, the kit's mantlet may need to be rebored (widened) or slightly filled (narrowed) to accept the turned barrel.

Other resin AM items are designed to either be added to what's on the kit or, like PE, designed to be replacements.

Quoted Text

To be more specific I'm looking into the dragon 1/35 88mm Flak 36 Anti-Aircraft Gun detail set

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=LNRLE35054

and 1/35 Cyber Hobby Panther G Late UPGRADE & CONV

http://www.dragonusaonline.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CHC3833

These two sets, upon looking at them, are pretty much sets to replace the kit parts. Again, follow both sets of plans at the same time.

Quoted Text

what type of adhesive or cement works best in gluing PE parts?

CA / Super / Krazy glue are pretty much one and the same. I use both a thin version and a thick (jell) version with PE and resin. Oh, 5-minute epoxy can be very helpful at times too.

HTH,

Mike
kerickson
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 11:10 AM UTC
There is a new product called Gator Glue. It looks a little like Elmers wood glue but supposedly sticks to almost anything. It doesn't set up instantly like CA, it gives you time to position the part just right then "bites". An internet search will get you info on it. I will be trying some PE on a LAV 25 soon and plan to try it.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's my question, do you have to add the aftermarket photo-etched pieces in the process of constructing a model kit, or are they add-ons after the out-of-box pieces have been all glued together?

Mike is right. Simply put, you can't build a kit out of the box and then add PE (or virtually any other aftermarket parts). Almost all the parts either replace a kit part or need to be added to the kit at an intermediate assembly point in the process.

Aftermarket enhancements like stowage & the like can go on after.

Usually.

Butnot always. Sometimes they also replace kit parts. Virtually everything else in PE or turned metal or resin is a replacement, not an independant add-on.

Quoted Text

But does regular plastic cement work in some instances or even elmer's white glue?

Neither white glue nor kit cement actually bonds to either PE, resin or turned barrels. You can use them and the item in question won't immediately fall off when the glue dries, but it probably will when you paint the model. Extremely small things like bolt heads, very small tabs and the like can be held on with white glue/kit cement/Future but you have to be extremly careful with the kit after that and make sure you don't knock the kit or swipe across the surface, otherwise the detail will depart the scene rapidly and usually to a spot you can't find or access.

Like anything else, using aftermarket parts is a skill. Assume you won't get it right the first dozen times you try to etiher fold or glue or position or paint the kit. Assume it. If/when it happens you won't be p*ssed off and, if by some miracle, you don't lose/mess up the parts, you can be extremely please with yourself.

Also, if, after wandering into the realm of PE, you find that you like it and intend to keep using PE, then get yourself a PE folding tool/brake press. You won't regret it. Really. Never.

It's worth the cash.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP