_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
TFG’s Build-a-Tool II – Air Brush Holder
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:17 PM UTC
Heheheh, got off work a bit early today, and because I've been "chomping at the bit" to get this going, I've begun collecting the needed materials and tools:

So, I’ve been “playing” with this idea for quite some time, and me being somewhat “cheap,” I decided to make my own air brush holder using the this’ and that’s that I had laying around the basement and garage.

This one is “specific” to my needs, but with a couple of deletions or modifications it could be used by just about anyone.

Materials/Tools

Metal file to smooth the wire ends, wire cutters to (duh) cut the wire, pliers (in this case, duckbills) to aid in bending the wire, small ball-peen hammer to “tighten” some of the bends, four ¼” dowels (specific to my project), a piece of peg board (specific to my project) to align the dowels, one machine screw, two flat washers, one lock washer, one nut to fit the screw, a wood base, solder and flux, torch, “heat shrink” tube to provide a non-marring surface to the rests, two pieces of 10 ga and one piece of 6 ga solid-core wire for the “legs” and AB rests, and various sized dowels to give the "rests" nice clean and round bends. (This one is being made to handle two separate AB’s…the rests will accept both siphon-feed and gravity-feed AB’s)

Please see the below pictures:

Mike
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 01:09 PM UTC
wow, you're all of this like flies on ......

Nice, I'm just getting ideas rolling and you're deploying photos. Can't wait to see more.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 02:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice, I'm just getting ideas rolling and you're deploying photos.

Scott, been banging this one around since Matt proposed it....was just waiting for the "Go!"

A couple hours later.............

The Build- Tool rests

Because I’m building this for two AB’s, it took a little more time to attempt to get the rests to somewhat look like each other…pure aesthetics! I used the 10 ga wire, varying sized dowels, and the duckbills to bend/shape/form the wire for the rests. Once they were reasonably close to each other, I took the heat shrink tube, and using a lighter, adhered it to where the AB’s will lie, offering some “mar-resistance.”

The Build- Rest legs/uprights

I used the 6 ga wire for the legs because it’s very stiff and won’t bend easily (and ‘cause I had some!). I wrapped it around the screw I was going to use, and used the ball-peen to tap it tighter around the screw. Once that was done, I cut the ends even (which will be further cut once the height is determined). Not sure why, but I chose to use the torch, flux, and solder to “kinda seam/seal” the legs together.

Mike
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:34 PM UTC
Got some more this afternoon:

The Build- Base

I had some oak lying around, so that’s what I used for the base. I cut the base 3” x 3” (an adequate size to support the AB’s) and sanded the surfaces and edges, then laid an extra piece of the peg board on top of it…drew circles through the peg board’s holes to mark where I’d drill the holes for the 1/4” pegs. Once the holes were drilled, I glued the pegs in. (This and the next two steps are specific to my “build;” the AB holder will sit in my paint booth…hence the pegs on the bottom)

The next step was to place that extra piece of peg board back over the pegs so that they would dry up in proper alignment.

When the pegs were set and dried, which didn't take long at all, I cut them to the thickness of the peg board plus about 1/8”. Tested, they fit nice and snug to the deck of my booth….it’ll easily hold two AB’s with full bottles of paint with no wobble or sway.

Mike
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 02:26 PM UTC
The Build- Base and Upright

I drilled the holes for the legs and used some two-part epoxy to set the upright (not used epoxy with copper and wood before, so we’ll see). Once that’s set and dried, I’ll use some spray Varathane (spar urethane) to give is some sealing and shine.

Once dry, some steelwool to smooth the finish.

Mike
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 12:17 AM UTC
Dang, look at you. I am still in the thinking stages and you are moving onto building one.

Looking good there!!

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 03:19 PM UTC
For those of you in the "thinking" stage....here's my "done" stage :

The Build- Putting it all together!

This is the simple part; screw then washer then one rest then the leg then the second rest then the second washer then the lock washer then the nut. Ba-Dow! Done.

And that my friends, is my version of an airbrush holder.

Mike
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:55 PM UTC
I wasn't quite sure where all three wires were going but now I see. Looks great. Love the cleat concept.
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:37 AM UTC
Great Tool!

I built just the tool rest today and attached it to the edge of my desk. Thanks for the idea. Previously, I was juggling the airbrush while trying to position the model, add more paint or thinner etc. Now it is easy.

Regards,
Chas
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 01:48 AM UTC
Chas, I was doing the same juggling act too. If I set the AB down I'd have to adjust the angle of the bottle so it would sit and then when ready for spraying I'd readjust...this is so much simpler.

I did wrap a large black spring around the juncture of the legs, just below the nut/bolt/washers.....purely for looks....no function.

Anyhow, it's working quite nice.

Mike
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 08:52 PM UTC
Not to take anything away from your fantastic tool, but this is how it's done the Australian way:

How about that stunning design! Main thing is that it works for me.

Chas
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,684 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 02:57 PM UTC
Great work, Mike, and thank you for sharing the whole process. It inspired me to start building a holder, great tutorial
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:00 PM UTC
Hey Chas, the Aussie-way seems to work! One can't complain when "easy, cheap, and functional" fit the bill.

Thanks James....don't know why I went so long without doing something like this. Makes modeling life easier.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP