_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
The Incredible Invisible Compressor Adapter
fotoman07
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 09:41 AM UTC
OK, this may be a dumb question, but can anyone tell me where I can get a 1/8" to 5MM compressor adapter? I spent about 4 hours today going to hobby shops, hardware stores and arts and crafts stores looking for this tiny bit of metal. No one has the slightest idea what they are. They're on the Net, but no one locally apparently has the bright idea of stocking something people might need. They all have the 1/4" adapter, the can adapter and the tire adapter, none of which help. I've got an airbrush and a new compressor and I'd like to use them sometime soon. Any hints? I'm searching right now.

P.S. The local Hobbytown has nothing but nozzles, and darn few at that.

okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:02 AM UTC
Hi there

I had the very same problem with finding an adaptor. I found mine at a car parts and accessories shop, the type that you get the nuts, bolts and air tools.

This is the one I went to
http://www.aa-components.com/about_us.php

Do a search for your own local car parts and engineering suppliers.

Good luck

Nige
fotoman07
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:09 PM UTC
Looks like I'll have to. I just got back from a local Pearl art supply after calling about the part and the guy said this new adapter would work. Well guess what? It didn't. It looks just like every other 1/4" out there, which is WAY TOO BIG for the output plug of my compressor. Why don't these people just look at a fitting and figure it out/? So that adapter is going back tomorrow and the search begins again. I tried Lowe's and they have just about every other kind of adapter but not this one. And I was looking in the automotive air tools. Doesn't surprise me though, the other day I went to Home Depot to get a pin vise and they swore they'd never heard of a pin vise. (DUH)

And I was talking to the person in charge of ordering for the drill dept.

jeez

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 02:55 PM UTC
Bruce,

Have you tried Dixie Art and Airbrush Supplies? Link's here if you need it.

Mike
owlbeback
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 03:37 PM UTC
Not sure where you are located in Florida, but there is probably a Grainger branch near you - http://www.grainger.com . You should be able to get what you need from them.
 _GOTOTOP