_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Automotive
This is a group for automotive scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Vacuum former for a tenner
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:09 AM UTC
I am a very happy camper

Made another fantastic purchase from my old high school that has moved to its brand new building and the old one has sold off most of its older, surplus kit.

Went in looking for the metalwork bench with vices that had been supposedly marked as sold to me and noticed that it had long gone. Turned around and saw this bit of kit all covered in sawdust and at first wondered what it was. all writing on it was obscured.

It's a Vacuum Former Model 917 Mk 2 by CR Clarke and Co (UK) Ltd and has a 430 x 225mm tray size and can form up to 150mm deep.

The sheets I will need are quite large but I have found out I can either make a reduction plate to form using smaller sheets of plasticard.

This is it shoe-horned in beside my new fume cupboard. I am a tadge worried about the radient heat that might be given off and how it might affect the fume cupboard perspex.

Any ideas as to roughly how far away anything should be from the radient heater? I have not yet tried it out but I know it all works.

I was also worried that there were no instructions supplied with the machine but was surprised to learn that CR Clarke still make and supply this size of machine, but now make them with a sliding heater panel and a timer/alarm to guage the timing of the heating process.

They also do a nifty wee video of each of their current formers and technical sheets showing how to make molds and how to use fac formed pieces in casting for resin molds.

I am a happy bunny,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, All this for a tenner!

Nige
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:10 PM UTC
Well one Nige!
How did you smuggle this in the house under your shirt?
We'll want to see some shots of you using this beast. Any big ideas yet?
Brad
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:42 AM UTC
Probably a few bent and buckled masses of molten plastic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, followed swiftly by a raging fire,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, followed by frantic calls for water,,, water!!!!!

And no more huffin hoose!!!!!!!!

Will need to learn how to first, then figure out what I want to try to make for my scratchbuilds. Was thinking this might come in handy when I want to do my Bedford MK and TM builds.

I can think of several bits and bobs that this might help me with here.

Canvas for the cargo areas
Possible shaped cargo side boards
Wheel arches
Battery box lids
Cupola lids
Containers for the flat racks (ribbed pattern done in five pieces and floor.

MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm

Can you use basic diy plaster molds for one off items. I know I can use balsa and the like but don't know if it will show the grain up. Will need to source some plastic sheets and try this out.

I can't lose out with a bargain like this. Even if it takes me 100 attempts to get started.

Nige
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
entire network: 395 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you use basic diy plaster molds for one off items. I know I can use balsa and the like but don't know if it will show the grain up. Will need to source some plastic sheets and try this out.

I can't lose out with a bargain like this. Even if it takes me 100 attempts to get started.

Nige

Hi ya Nige,
Nice find.
Ref your Q's - yes, you can use plaster masters BUT don't expect them to be used more than once (they have a tendancy to chip and flake when demolding).
The grain will only show dependant on the units vacuum pressure, I prefer to use MDF as it doesn't have a grain effect, is easily worked and demolds easily. It the unit has a decent vacuum pressure you will find that balsa will 'crush'.
Expect to have sessions of both hair tearing and bouncing around like a kid at Christmas .
We expect to see some results soon.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 01:44 AM UTC
[/quote]

Hi ya Nige,
Nice find.
The grain will only show dependant on the units vacuum pressure, I prefer to use MDF as it doesn't have a grain effect, is easily worked and demolds easily. It the unit has a decent vacuum pressure you will find that balsa will 'crush'.
Expect to have sessions of both hair tearing and bouncing around like a kid at Christmas .
We expect to see some results soon.[/quote]

There appears to be a variable setting for either the heater or the fan. I would presume since the heater is just a single bar it may be the vacuum pressure though a wee bit of fiddling with the knobs will soon tell.

I can reverse the fan to act as a blower to release the parts from the mold too.

It looks quite simple on the company video but will need to just have a go and see what I get.

Nige
 _GOTOTOP