_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Greetings Fellow Canucks!
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 54 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 06:50 PM UTC
At the risk of starting a heated hockey debate with the title of the topic, I wanted to introduce myself to this forum!
So to get it out of the way: when I wrote "Canucks" I also meant all fellow "Oilers, Flames, Senators, Canadiens, Leafs (and former Jets and Nordique)"
Back to me and making models.
I have a post in introductions, but I wanted to express my respect to all the wonderfully talented Canadian modelers out there that I have met. I know that many out there are "hidden" and I meet them at some of the strangest places like one guy I met at a garage sale he hosted. Several guys I have met at the mall with kits in hand. And a few guys I have become good friends with through trading models and seeing them at local shows and meets. While trolling through the local hobby stores, I see a lot of the same faces and we strike up conversations on the spot! I live in Vancouver and we are blessed with some really good local hobby stores here in Metro Vancouver. I have gone to shows in Seattle, San Jose, Santa Clara, Whidbey Island. I have visited hobby stores all across the U.S., Singapore, Italy and Hong Kong, Toronto and in London England and Paris France.
Everywhere I have been I have managed to talk with the proprietor or another shopper, and they all have the exact same criteria and thoughts on making models!!!! It is universal! Even if they had broken or little English, they could convey to me the same thoughts! They talk about which kits are good, which are difficult, accurate, inaccurate, fit well, new, coming soon. They talk about having done the kit it with .... different markings, conversion, add ons, aftermarket, different paint schemes......
I love it!!! It is so easy to talk about our hobby with others who share it.
Like in college when a favorite line was...."What's your major?" We in scale models ask "What do you build?" And off you go - a new friend in the hobby!
Sorry for rambling......I like doing this posting thing - it is new to me!
I have been visiting the site for years, and only started posting recently.

If you have any good stories about people you have met through the hobby, please post it!
Cheers,
Eric
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:33 PM UTC
Eric,

Welcome and greetings from a very snowy central Ontario! I to have met so many great modelers in un-model like places. Especially since modeling is a solitary hobby. I also find that most of us to not go about proclaiming our hobby like some other hobbies do. So you might meet someone at a store, or at work who also models. Living near Barrie I am fortunate to be a member of a great club, with members who value and respect each others interests and passions Plus they all believe that modeling is fun!!

Darryl
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 - 08:46 AM UTC
Hi Darryl,
Thanks for the welcome. It was interesting that you pointed out that this was a solitary hobby. I didn't think of it this way until you mentioned it. I guess Radio controlled people can go to races/meets and compete. Train guys often put their projects together to make large projects, and Lego guys also do that.
I have also noticed a lot of people in our hobby are really into history, of which I am also into, and watching documentaries or the news and current events.
When I talk to my wife about it, I say it is recreating history!! Not some grown man playing with toys that don't move. She shrugs and walks off wondering why I don't paint the tanks all bright colors!!!! (I have built a few Nascars for my son since he likes racing cars - my wife seems to be more interested in that).
I am often inspired to build by reading a factual history book, seeing a picture in a current periodical, or watching a documentary.
Then there is the whole technical side of making kits and painting and weathering etc. This I enjoy trying to hone. So to me it is much more than just gluing plastic pieces and slapping on some paint. It is a representation of history.

Kudos to the men and women who played a part in this history!!
Eric
BUILD ON!!!!
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 02:57 AM UTC
I hear you and totally agree with your comments. I had family that served in WW I (lost a great grand father) and WWII lost an uncle. To me modeling is recreating history, one kit at a time

D
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 62 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hey guys...
Its Wellcome day here and the snow has me playing my old Ramones records and drinking beer....blech...
Im in Central Ontario too and really enjoy the fact that people in our hobby are so easy to talk to,and totally agree with the philosophy of recreating history.
I started studying WWII when I realized that the Americanized version of what happened was wrong...so I wanted the truth ..as they say "the truth is out there"....
My Grandfather served in WWI as dispatch rider ,wah wounded by a shellburst sending a cobblestone into his knee,,later machine gunner .was wounded when a german aircraft strafed their position and took shrapnel in his shoulder..He lied about his age when he signed up ....he signed up for WWII but this time they caught him when he lied about his age ...wouldnt send him overseas ..so he became a prison guard north of Sudbury.
My Great Uncle served in Holland ....was captured and spent the war in a camp making railwaylines for our German friends. Apparently it was a very foggy day ,,,their group split up .....were supposed to meet at a tree ....and he met the Germans instead of his buddies (who had been scooped earlier )....
I have a buddy who went in first wave at sword beach.....Norman Pell.....what an AMAZING man ...I feel humbled by the sacrifices made and feel strongly about recognizing and honouring that

HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hi Eric

Welcome and go Oilers go! Glad to see another Canuck here. I have a buddy from Poland who lives here now and he is a modeler. He was friends with the Polish fellow who flew the Avro Arrow years ago, he knows the names I cannot remember.

Enjoy the site
HastyP
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 06:07 PM UTC
Hey Jim and Paul,
Thanks for dropping by.
Jim, we heard about the snow storm ripping through the east - here we had light rain and about 10 degrees and ended with a nice sunset! Sorry to rub it in.
Thanks for sharing about their war experiences - something I have not gone through, but my Dad, Mom and Uncles went through it in China, when the Japanese came through. I understand there was a British/Canadian military contingent garrisoned in Hong Kong when the war started and they were put into awful conditions at the POW camp there.
My 6 year old asks me about the models I am making, and I tell him a little bit of history associated with the model that I am making. I hope that he does learn about what our ancestors went through and what sacrafices people have made (and are making).

And Paul, I like your AVATAR - the one of the original Starbuck (did I spell that right?), the "new" Starbuck is pretty hot in her own way, but not as slick as the old one.
I have made quite a few friends from other countries here in Vancouver who like to make models - automatic non-stop discussions about all aspects of models - usually I like to ask them about their techniques.

Cheers guys!
Eric
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 05:08 AM UTC
I am in the same club as Darryl. Its not big, but I really enjoy talking the hobby at our monthly meetings. Darryl and I live close to each other and I enjoy stoping by his house to look at his stash (very impressive)

I always enjoy the chance to talk about this hobby with others. Darryl is right about it being a solitary hobby sometimes. Nobody I work with even knows I am involved with it. Most people just don't understand it so its better to just leave it I find.

Go Leafs! But not this year thank you. I am so hoping they keep losing. Proud member of tank nation!

Jeff
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 62 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:54 AM UTC
Youre right about this being a solitary hobby ..and people not understanding ....Iv had people call me "toymaker".....
I live in a very small town ..and small towns are very tightnit...Iv been here 5 years and Im still the "new person who moved into Phyllis' house".....with a 1 hour commute ,and 12 hour shifts in the spring,and EVERYONE hibernating in winter (except to icefish),,,I dont meet freinds here.I probably could if I went to the local bar ,but I wont do that ....gotta save for models ..lol
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 2,012 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 04:23 PM UTC
Hey Eric,
As another Lower Mainlander and Canuck fan, you gotta love Bobby Luongo, welcome to the fold !
Like a number of the regulars, my interest in the hobby stems from my Dad serving with the Canadian Scottish Regiment in WW II.
He commanded an infantry company equipped with Universal Carriers mounting WASP flamethrowers, ugghhh..... nasty beasts
A couple of my high school buddies were also involved with the British Columbia Regiment, down at the Beatty Street Armoury.
You know the one with the bright green M4A2E8 Sherman and the Ram II gate guards out front.
Nothing like having a couple of the real things parked in your back yard,
You hit the nail on the head, we sure are spoiled with all the top notch LHS's in and around town.
Anyway, maybe we'll see you around?
Cheers

jjumbo
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 06:13 PM UTC
Hi Jeff,
We on the west coast hear 'bout the Leaf's woes.....and I see on 'sportsnet' all the controversy and soap opera going on with that managment and personnel problems. We have had our own little slide as of late with the 'nucks.

Hey John,
I have been to several armories around here - in Kits they have transports, and I saw them drilling with some artillary inside. In New Westminster regiment (near where I grew up) they had lots of Dodge pick up trucks, small transports and the like parked outside. In Richmond there is an engineering regiment with a few older vehicles on display (a UN white jeep, a 2 1/2 ton truck wrecker).
Other than on Canada Day celebrations in Port Moody, I hardly get to see armor or military related vehicles here locally. Do we in B.C. have some sort of military display of current and past Canadian vehicles in some sort of parade/exhibition/museum?

Cheers,
Eric

keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hey Jim,
I think "toymaker" just means that they don't really understand what you do. Maybe showing or talking about what goes into making models would allow them to have a better appreciation for what you do for a hobby. Sitting at a local diner/coffee shop making a model sometimes will stir up conversation - voila ! New friends!

No need to stay "in the closet" about making models my friend!!

Cheers,
Eric

jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 2,012 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do we in B.C. have some sort of military display of current and past Canadian vehicles in some sort of parade/exhibition/museum?

Hey Eric,
I'm not sure if there's a museum anywhere.
When I last went to the PNE, many, many, may summers ago, the Canadian Armed Forces used to set up a display of vehicles and equipment.
They usually had the old 6 wheeled Cougars, Huskys and Grizzlys and an Iltis or two hanging about.
The 6th Field Engineers here in North Van have had displays of restored vehicles on Remembrance Day once in a while.
I've seen a variety of Ford and Willys Jeeps, M151 Mutts, various Military pattern Ambulances, a CMP 15-cwt truck towing a 25pdr and limber, CMP 8-cwt truck and an International Harvester M5 half-track.
There is someone in town who owns and drives an old Ferret Scout Car.
Cheers

jjumbo
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:37 AM UTC
Hey John,

Now that I have had time to think about it - yes I did see a CAF display at the PNE last summer (2007) - they had the new Gelendelwagon with the the roof mounted turret, and I picked up a few personal weapons (C-7?) and light machine gun. The kids got red "dog tags" that say "support our troops".
Locally in Burnaby there is a house with a few Ford Mutts, HMMVs etc - military surplus looking.
I am looking to take pictures of a LAV3 - maybe when they have a recruitment drive, and sit in one.

Cheers,
Eric

_GOTOTOP