_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
My Modelling shed (Haven).
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 03:31 AM UTC
A few years ago the wife and I decided to build a workshop for my models at the rear of our property, I would like to share a few pictures of my haven with you.
1. The shed, seen from the rear of our home.

The insides, work area and entertainment systems!! No boredom here!
The AA. Chieftain ARV on the board.

Spray and on hold/work in progress area.

Reference library and 'Stuff'.

More Stuff in the cabinets.

Keith.
dante
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 49 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 04:58 AM UTC
That's great; nice work. Do you have heat to go along with air-c. Could you please tell me what the inside Dim. are.
Dan
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's great; nice work. Do you have heat to go along with air-c. Could you please tell me what the inside Dim. are.
Dan

Yes, I have a couple of electric heaters, not that I need them very often in South Carolina. The walls, ceiling and under floor is well insulated and the inside carpeted.....
The Hearland company makes, delivers and builds the shed on your property, the style is called a 'Tack Room'. It comes in various dimensions..
You then add extras such as window, ridge vent and door sill.
After the electrician ran the power (underground) and installed the outlets, air cond, and switches, the wife and myself put in the insulation, interior walls, ceiling, lights and then painted it inside and out. We built the bookshelf unit.
The wife thought the shutters added a bit of flair...

The inside dimension is 15ft X 11ft. 6ins.

Keith.
propwash
Visit this Community
Charente, France
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:57 AM UTC
That looks really cosy; I'd be very happy in there. It's a lot bigger inside than it looks from outside too...............
rotATOR
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 08:22 AM UTC
I like that reel-to-reel tape recorder gadget..that is tricky!! it reminds me of something you would see on "Get Smart" or the old "Mission Impossible" tv show...

nice set-up there Keith
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 08:31 AM UTC
Wow!, thats a very nice hideout you got yourself, You could use some closed cabinets for your models though to keep the dust away.

But, wheres the coffeemachine and the fridge with the cold beers ?
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow!, thats a very nice hideout you got yourself, You could use some closed cabinets for your models though to keep the dust away.

But, wheres the coffeemachine and the fridge with the cold beers ?

It is a fairly dust free interior, and I normally run a desk fan with door or window open when sanding resin. A quick dusting with a large soft brush on the models works wonders if need be.

I am not a Beer drinker myself but I do take a few cold sodas out in a small cooler. BUT the downside is, you gotta run for the bathroom if it's raining.

I will open my cabinets and show you what is hidden in them, as well as what is behind the nice Mahogany (future bases) board.

Don't let the Reel to Reel fool you, it is a modern version with a CD player built in as well. I recorded most of my 33's and 45's onto the reels...

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 02:53 AM UTC
Behind the Doors!

Some of my 'Stash'.

Yes, yes I know, I need to tidy up a bit...Perhaps between models >

Keith.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 08:13 AM UTC
That looks like a great hideout Keith!

Very, very nice!
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 01:18 PM UTC
Very nice - thanks for sharing. My wife told me she thought it would be a good idea to have a workshop separate from the house. At first I was intriqued, and then I thought that trudging through snow and ice in the winter would preclude alot of modeling during the frigid months.

- Frank
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice - thanks for sharing. My wife told me she thought it would be a good idea to have a workshop separate from the house. At first I was intriqued, and then I thought that trudging through snow and ice in the winter would preclude alot of modeling during the frigid months.

- Frank

Frank.
Get your choice of shed from Heartland, a two story if the wife wants part of it and ensure you install one of the LARGER air conditioners that has a built in heater as well.
I should have done that and will do so if my small unit ever needs replacing. Having a remote control for it is great, as I can spin my chair and alter the settings without getting up, (Lazy eh)..

Trust me, the walk to 'Haven' is worth it, even if it is Snow covered.
Keith.
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 - 08:31 AM UTC
Me thinkith your wife has given you a cozy 'dawg house'...you'd better figure a way to mount a fold down bunk on one of the walls. Behave or she'll flip the breaker leaving you locked in the 'sweat box' on a hot summers day.

My workshop is about the same square footage...only I don't have to walk back and forth in the elements to reach it. Given my love of coffee, that would mean frequent trips!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 - 02:34 PM UTC
Well, you've been slacking off on the cleaning up... But that doesn't matter as long as you get the projects going

Great looking shed... Honestly, i now understand why no one moves to Canada... its so cold thier just no way for people to have modeling sheds!

Frank
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 - 07:07 PM UTC
Congrats Keith. Very cool place you've got there.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:44 AM UTC
I enjoy the shed very much. One of the main reasons is the ability to leave everything as is, shut the lights off, close the door and walk away, knowing that when I come back I can pick up where I left off and NOBODY has touched anything.
I used to have a cat problem when I worked in the house, all of them (3) would try and help me unload the parts from my boxes.

Anyway, problem solved and no regrets at all.

Note the sign above the door!

Keith.....
tkdfighter
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 52 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 04:05 PM UTC
next time my wife complains about my stash Im going to show her your pictures. very nice setup thanks for sharing
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 01:52 AM UTC
Very nice. My cats would be pissed off if I took all "their" plastic and resin playthings out to a separate building

Cheers,
Charles
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 243 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 05:31 PM UTC
Outstanding! I love it. I am converting two bedrooms into one for a Big hobbyroom for myself. Who cares about the mess. We aren't in the military anymore, and our rooms are our domains!! clutter is a way of modeling! Clutter on!
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:20 PM UTC
Modelling is not a cheap hobby and once you add the items needed to produce a finished product it is also expansive as well as expensive.
Protecting your envestment is a smart move. Closing the door and walking away, leaving everything safe and ready for you to take up exactly where you left off is worth all the cost involved in creating your own model haven.

Getting everything in one place and out of the wife's space is also a smart move. Both of us agreed on the project and as she occupied the space I vacated in the home with her items, it didn't take long to complete and move my stuff into it...

Go for it and reap the many benefits and joys it will bring you. No regrets at all.

Keith..
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 243 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 07:06 PM UTC
Don't have a wife anymore. Got divorced when I caught her doing unmarried things. Still have the kids though. I agree with the getting out away from everyone else. I have to put my stuff up every time I build. I could leave it out, as the kids, and animals leave my things alone. Can't wait for the room to be complete.
Have a good one.

Cheers,

Ray
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:27 PM UTC
Ray, some would or may consider you lucky!

But in any case, I know it will be worth every cent/penny and amount of time and effort creating your space. When it is done, please share a couple of pictures with us, I for one would like to see them. Don't forget to have something on the work table though!

Take your time, measure TWICE, cut ONCE..

Keith
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:24 PM UTC
Nice stash you have there.
Will keep that Retired Guy busy for quite awhile.
 _GOTOTOP