_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Bush-painted models
propwash
Visit this Community
Charente, France
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:46 AM UTC
I know most use air-brushes, but does anyone on here brush like me, and if so, I'd love to see some photos of hand-painted models.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 02:27 PM UTC
Well,I was a little confused at first. I do use a 'brush',but not a 'bush' Actually,I rattle can the primer and base coat and then I usually hand brush from there. Some 3-tone German ww2 cammo is done with rattle can and Silly Putty masking.Sometimes T shirt rag mask. I don't own an AB.No room for it on my ghetto work bench!
Cheers!
05Sultan
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 02:42 PM UTC
I forgot you wanted to see some examples! Here are two by brush:

propwash
Visit this Community
Charente, France
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 07:24 PM UTC
Hey Rick, thanks for that. Just read my title about bush painting and it gave me an early-morning chuckle.... Who knows, perhaps someone out there has tried it! lol

Anyway, thanks for that. It's inspiring so see I'm not the only 'bush' painter.

Hey, that German camo- painting is amazing! Have you any more pics? Any tips on such a great finish?

I rattle can automotive plastic primer, then hand paint from there. I will rattle can NMF finished too. I'm only on my first model.

Tell me, to you handbrush a clear coat before decaling? I may not be able to get Klear here, but I have seen some Humbrol brush on gloss varnish and semi varnish that might be suitable for pre-decaling, and also a mat varnish which might be suitable for the finishing touch after.

What do you think?

Cheers for the photos.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 01:34 AM UTC
I will for ever remember the weathering advice I found in my Tamiya M60A1: “you can paint it green or camouflage or alternatively rub it as with a desert or a dog”. And there’s a PE detail set for the 10.5cm K.Pz.Sfl.Iva that’s marketed as applying to the “Dick Marks”. You have to love it, eh.

Anyway … no brush-painted models available on this site, but if you search Track-Link you can find an M107 I did last year, and ARC has a Sea Fury and an F-4 of mine. I wouldn’t
tout the F-4 as a good example, mind.

And I agree - cracking wiggly camouflage on that 110.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 03:00 AM UTC
Quote-"Tell me, to you handbrush a clear coat before decaling? I may not be able to get Klear here, but I have seen some Humbrol brush on gloss varnish and semi varnish that might be suitable for pre-decaling, and also a mat varnish which might be suitable for the finishing touch after."
I do brush paint Future/Kleer on before the decals. On armor,I just put it where the decals will go. On aircraft I usually do the whole surface as it's easier to weather then.
I rattle can the Dulcote laquer when I use it. Laquers can be a royal pain to brush well.
The squiggles were stippled on using a glass bristle brush normaly used for painting fabrics. It took a loooooong time to finish,but it was worth it.
Thanks Sean! glad you like it.
cheers!
neil22
Visit this Community
Cotes-d`Armor, France
entire network: 292 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:44 AM UTC
hi
i brush paint all my millitary models. i have a few pics on my little site. http://www.neil22.weebly.com

note the boats are also brush painted but the trucks are spraypainted with car spraypaint cans.

neil
05Sultan
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 04:59 PM UTC
Awesome stuff Neal! Love the runabout.Super finish on it! The armor is just as high a quality as any AB finished subject. What do you use for your armor base coats? Acrylic or enamel? Do you paint the parts before assembly? Very nice work all around.
dante
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 49 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 05:37 AM UTC
Hi Neil,
The work is fantastic.
I brush paint too; can you do a tutorial on it or give us a few hints.
Dan
propwash
Visit this Community
Charente, France
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 05:49 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing, Neil. Some of that armour has fantastic weathering...........Inspiring!

As a side-note: Je voir vous etes en France aussi. I'm also a Brit in France and am in the Charente.
neil22
Visit this Community
Cotes-d`Armor, France
entire network: 292 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:13 AM UTC
hey,
thanks for the replys! really nice to get other peoples opinions.
i dont really have any secret. i paint using tamiya acrylics mainly. i tend to either paint when built or sometimes i build into sub assembles, like on the fh18, so i can get to the tricky bits.
to paint
1 i just paint the base coat/main colour(s) in tamiya acrylics,
2 then detail bits like tools,
3 i use enamel or oil washes and filters.
4 then get it dirty with mig pigments and pastles for dust and mud,
5 lastly i use a soft pencil to add scratches

i think thats about it. the panzer 4 ausf E is bit diffrent but only in that the german gray paint chipping was added after the base coat. i do this chipping very simply.
paint the tank alover with the sand except bits like under the fenders, behind the wheels, behind the extra frontal armor. this is painted with german gray.
then i use the corner, cut off a green kitchen scrubbing pad, dip this in the german gray and stipple it on around high wear areas, egdes.
here should be a close up............

thanks again for the comments. hope this helps, any questions just ask.

neil
 _GOTOTOP