History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Would Germany Have Gone After Japan?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:03 PM UTC
After Germany got done taking over the world with Japans help, Would they have then fought the Japanese for world domination?

~Chip
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:11 PM UTC
Think about it, they were murdering and enslaving their own people who did not quite fit the Aryan race mold. I believe it was more of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" relationship. Germany wasn't strong enough to take on France, Russia, UK and US all by itself, so they used the Japanese to keep the US and UK busy so they could take what they wanted in the North Africa/Med area.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:37 PM UTC
I doubt if Hitler would have fought Japan for purely logistical reasons. It's a long way from German and Japanese territory. The closest they could link up would have been via the Middle East and India. The distances to travel from Germany to Japan through other means, like Russia or China, would probably have been prohibitively long. Add in the facts that one needed a strong naval force to defeat Japan, which was something that Hitler was sorely lacking outside of U-boats, and that a victorious Luftwaffe would have been evenly, if not outmatched, by victorious Japanese Army and Naval Air Forces, than it would have been a far too difficult and uncertain task to fight Japan. Just my opinion!
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 232 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 02:07 PM UTC
Germany would have just bombed the poo-poo out of them. They would have gas from Africa.
JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 03:00 AM UTC
An intersting question. As was mentioned, spheres of influence would have bumped into each other in India.

Try the novel "The Man in the Hightower" for a post ww2 Axis occupied US.

Also, try "Third Reich Triumphant" which is a group of short stories on ways the axis could have won either the war or a specific campaign. Both good reads if you like alternate history.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 04:02 AM UTC
I think it depends on how the axis would have won the war :

if Japan had been allowed to reign over Asia and germany over North-Africa and Europe, leaving the US alone, they would both have developed a very strong war machine and finaly war would have been declared between the two of them. That would have meant that the german army would have used people from all over the occupied countries... and the same goes for Japan.
The world would have been a bit as in 1984, with two big countrys/continents fighting for world domination while they are terrorising their own citizens.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 08:26 PM UTC
If the situation arose, I think they both would have been relativly satisfied with the status quo. I'm sure there would have been some give and take in the India/Pakistan region