History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Did Hitler Know about Japanese Battles?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:01 PM UTC
My dad and I were talking, and he asked if I thought that Hitler and the people of Europe knew about Japanese battles, Midway, Coral sea, Phillipine Sea. Do you think that he was informed?

~Chip
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:39 PM UTC
Hitler himself probably kept up on what Japan was doing so that he could get some idea of how much of the U.S. military was being tied down by them. Otherwise, I doubt if the average German citizen paid all that much attention to the Pacific since they had enough problems of their own to worry about. I base this mostly on what my mother told me. She grew up in wartime Japan, and most of the people there didn't pay any attention to what the Germans were doing. They were more concerned with how their own forces were fairing.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 02:01 PM UTC
This is sort of off topic but my dad was a guard for German POWs after the war. If you saw the movie on TNT a while back on the Neurenberg, (sp), war trials the guards there had a white shield with a green pine tree on their lapel insignias. That's the 26th Ifantry Regiment of the 1st Infantry Divison, Dad's old unit. Anyway Dad used to say the Germans were still a little cocky after the war. They seemed to think Japan would still beat us. There was a map on the wall in headquarters showing the progress of the Allied forces towards Japan. When it was announced Japan has asked to surrender Dad took a bunch of German POWs to show the map and told them "Japan Kaput!" The POWs weren't so cocky after that.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 08:35 PM UTC
I think what you are really sking was did Hitler know in advance what the Japanese plans were? I really doubt it, I think he found out the same time the rest of the world did what was up with the Japanese
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 06:04 PM UTC
I was watching the History Channel a few months ago and they talked about how Japan sent a few of their key military personnel to Germany during the war to discuss strategy. I always thought it would make a cool diorama to have a few Japanese senior military officials in Berlin along with the Germans.

GR8Voyager
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:41 PM UTC
I would be surprised if they had any true high-level communication about future plans during the war. I would guess that any high ranking officers would just be part of the embassy staff tasked with gathering whatever useful information was floating around, or putting a positive spin on military setbacks to their erstwhile allies.

Coop