Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Here is a Good One
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 06:54 AM UTC
Received in my staff email and addressed to "Mr. Campaigns"
Kinda makes me want to confirm my soc.sec number for them

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
United States Department of the Treasury

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal
activity we have determined that you are eligible
to receive a tax refund of $184.80.

Please submit the tax refund request and allow us
6-9 days in order to process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
For example submitting invalid records or applying
after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, use the following personalized link:

http://0xCA.0x80.0x1D.0x2/www.irs.gov/

Regards,
Internal Revenue Service

Document Reference: (0xCA.0x80.0x1D.0x2).
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 182 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 07:30 AM UTC
It's amazing the amout of e-mail and other scams out there. I recently took a report from a bank VP who got an e-mail purporting to be from the U.S. Department of Justice claiming that a complaint had been filed with them as well as the IRS on behalf of a bank customers account. The email had a very official looking "U.S. Department of Justice" banner on it and somehow actually gave the correct U.S. Department of Justice e-mail address for the sender. A copy of the complaint was said to be attached to the e-mail. The attachment when opened would allow the sender access to the recipient's computer. Fortunately the VP thought it suspicious, checked and found a completely different look on the real U.S. Department of Justice's website and deleted it after printing a hard copy of the e-mail. suspicious

Another telephone scam was where the caller would claim that the person had failed to appear for their asssined jury duty and a warrant was being issued for their arrest. When the person protested and claimed that there must be a mistake the call would then ask to verify their name, birth date, social security number etc. Once the caller had this info they would then advise the person that there in fact was a mistake and they were safe from any criminal penalties etc. and hang up having gotten all the necessary info for identity theft.

Unbelievable!
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 07:34 AM UTC
Unbelievable yes, but unfortunately people fall for these all the time.
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 510 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:20 AM UTC
Nothing tops my friend's mom who fell for the long lost dead great aunt twice removed scheme. i would be more than skeptical if I recieved a letter says great great aunt susie left me her fortune of $100,000,000 and they needed $100,000 to process it! Needless to say, they got screwed and his college fund went bye-bye...

-Mike
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 04:40 PM UTC
I keep getting email from a Nigerian prince who needs help banking a couple million dollars...
Seriously, I bet there a lot of people who fall for these kinds of scams that you never here about due to the embarrassment factor. Most people probably don't want to admit to anyone they were dumb and greedy enough to fall for most of these schemes.

Shaun