_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Glue small scratchbuilt parts- super glue?
carman
Visit this Community
Netanya, Israel
entire network: 29 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 02:57 AM UTC
Hey, I'm now working on a small scale vehicle (1/72).
I made few very small parts from evergreen plastic sheet, to make the frame, I need to glue some parts I made.
From one side- I need the speed of the Super Glue to set them fast and for sure, but from the other side- Plastic Cement of revell or so is a lot stronger and give the well done build.
what should I do? what to choose?, I glued some with super glue, but the broken fast .

and another small question- It is better to use special super glue of RC models or the regular 2$ super glue is good for me?

thanks and all the best,
DANIEL.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 04:08 AM UTC
Sounds like your super glue is getting old, I would get a fresh tube. That's what happens from time to time, especially if it’s not used often. Besides super glue you can use liquid cement, I use Ten-X. Stuff works well, just wipe the parts using a paint brush and it sets up right away. There are other brands of liquid cements out but I just don’t recall any at this moment.

Joe
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like your super glue is getting old, I would get a fresh tube. That's what happens from time to time, especially if it’s not used often. Besides super glue you can use liquid cement, I use Ten-X. Stuff works well, just wipe the parts using a paint brush and it sets up right away. There are other brands of liquid cements out but I just don’t recall any at this moment.

Joe

How do you know when that super glue gets Bad?
ColonelKFChicken
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 11:04 PM UTC
I know this is an old thread, but Im jumping on the bandwagon.
I found super glue really hard to work with- stuck fingers togetther plastic to pliers and clamps... etc.
however for scratch building it sticks different mediums together so well that I swear by it. i can now build whatever I want using it as the more I have used it the better its got.
I use really thin wire in combo with left over sprue to build the traversing and elevating "wheels"of artillery pieces.
 _GOTOTOP