Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratchbuilding Templates
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 02:51 PM UTC
Would more people do Scratchbuilding if there was a company or person who could offer allot more Scratchbuilding templates.

In 1/35 scale form. There is a company I seen that is starting to offer them. I am wondering if they'll offer many more.

Or does anyone know of a place where if I ask for a specific peice that they would make a 1/35 templates for me.Because I know that is one of the biggest reasons I haven't really Scratchbuilt anything major besides small stuff that I copied from the model itself that broke when cutting it from the spruce tree.

Happy Modeling
Tom
rwaldram
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 05:16 PM UTC
I've had similar dilemmas with my 1:25 scale cranes that i've been scratchbuilding. With my first one i resorted to sourcing as many photos as i could, getting a small scale (HO/1:87 scale) version of what i wanted to build and then, using an easily identifiable piece i compared sizes (ie: knew the size of the tyres, so i measured the HO model, multiplied the dimension by 87, then divided it by 25 to get the size i wanted) this worked as i had already figured out the same dimension by taking the 1:1 size and dividing it by 25 so there for i had an accurate guage to go by.

Obviously, i had a lot of research ahead of me as i couldnt do this for the entire model but i went to the local stationary store bought a couple of decent greylead pencils, erasers set-squares/triangles and most importantly, hal a dozen sheets of A2 size graph paper (with the lines marked at 2mm intervals) Over the next few months i drew my 1:25 scale plans from the left, right, front and back and also two arial views, one of the superstructure and one of the carrier. On a seperate sheet i then drew the same angles but of the chassis, suspension, steering and drive train.

Unfortunately, a lot of the things we want to build, cant be done without this type of effort as a lot of the vehicles are either too old to have plans or to new to be 'handed out'.
stephan79
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
entire network: 32 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 05:29 AM UTC
Tom, what is the name of that company? I hope they do not just offer the umtieth esoteric WWII Panzer prototype...
I also planned to upscale a 1/87 scale model to 1/35 (the M55 howitzer) - but when I finally held this model (by Roco) in my hands, I gave up on the project for the time being, because the accuracy seemed not really encouraging, and any error will multiply.
I guess that will have to wait till some day I have a chance to take meassurements from an original vehicle, though so far I have not heard about any being on display in Europe...
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 03:06 PM UTC
Stephen

:-[ ] Would these plans be of any use to you in your itchy scratchy build project.

:-[ ] There are some very useful drawings on this web site. Worth a browse.

http://www.primeportal.net/artillery/brent_sauer/m55_howitzer/

:-[ ] All the best

Nige
stephan79
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 07:00 AM UTC
Thank you Nige,
I was aware of those pictures, but then I saw that someone just uploaded many many more useful M55 pictures on primeportal:
http://www.primeportal.net/artillery/marco_folin/m55_howitzer/index.php?Page=1
I guess that will really get me started indeed.

But where can I find those drawings? - I did search them both with google and by browsing the updates
stephan79
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 07:15 AM UTC
wow, I see this guy on primeportal even thought about putting a yard stick in the pictures!
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 02:24 PM UTC
The missing link to plans,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, all you need is a couple of primary dimensions to figure out the scale.

http://www.the-blueprints.com/index.php?blueprints/tanks/tanks-m/3045/view/m_55_howitser/

Just back off hols so just found out I had not posted link.

Hope this helps guys

Nige
 _GOTOTOP