_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
AMS
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 10:26 PM UTC
I have now heard about this symptom. AMS, Advanced modeling syndrome. Have anybody of you have that symptom? For those who don't know, I can explain:

Typical behaviour: For example: You are worried about your seperate made jacket on your figure are too light to be 1944.

You research for months, to see if the screws, on the hubcabs , on the aircraft is in totally metal or in polished steel black.

This maybe seems a little bit excessively, and insensitive - then I am sorry.
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 310 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 12:13 AM UTC
Yes... indeed... I have heard of it, seen it and even lived it....

Though I have to say that in my experience, the "advanced" stages included researching the subject until every nut, bolt, rivet and paint drop are thoroughly documented and could be reproduced with precision in the desired scale....

In the end, the final effect is that the modeler eventually can not complete ANY projects... because of course his unending quest for "accuracy" has raised his "expectations" to the point where he needs a "1/35 shrinking ray gun" and not a box of plastic parts to satisfy his "urges"....

Later,
Tim
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 10:08 PM UTC
Tim,

I am totally with you,

Quoted Text

"We are not building 1/16 full functional humans, or tanks, we are building plastic models. "

By Francois Verlinden
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:02 PM UTC
Unfortunately yes Aragorn!!! It looks also very tough if impossible to get rid of it. I've got this infection something like 35 years ago and I've seen many doctors but to day no cure was found but... building more armour kits!!!
Ciao
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 08:01 PM UTC
The other problem with this disease is the stacks and stacks of books. I've got 5 bookcases full as well as the whole bottom row of my wall to wall shelving that was planned for built models only (The entire top shelves are full of unbuilt kits as well as a stack or two in the closet and at the workbench.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 12:28 AM UTC
Try building a modern armor piece and having several of the real things about 100 feet away from where you sit (31 meters to you metric guys). Then having numerous minor differences between the various actual vehicles (i.e. the Detroit Army Tank Plant M1A1 vs. the Lima, Ohio M1A1). I don't even want to talk about the M113 series vehicles...
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 02:03 AM UTC
I understand that there is research beginning to look into the causes and possible cures for AMS. I have been in communiccation with several victims of this disease and their families. There is talk of organizing a charity walk to help raise money to pay for the research. I believe the next step will be to sign up a celerbity spokesperson. Maybe a 'supermodel'? Will keep our efforts posted here. :-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 02:47 AM UTC
I think I have a variation of that symptom. You see, whatever model I build, I don't feel the satisfaction. I always feel that there's always "flaws" on the model. Some nights, I could not sleep thinking about the model. Sometimes, I like to finish the model very quickly. Does that sound the same?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:54 PM UTC
hehe, how is this really health related? anyone died from it? if so, I shall really be on the look out.... #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) Thanks for the head up Lord Aragon.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:50 PM UTC
Hello... My name is Delbert and ........I ......um.....am a Plastiholic... .....

I build models.....and I don't have a single unopened kit in the house.. I like to take the plastic out of the box and look at them and see how they go together and revise the list I keep in my head of what model I plan to do next...............I just can't help myself.............
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 01:00 PM UTC
I used to just slap kits together with glue dripping from the seams and decals flapping around in the breeze. Then I painted my first kit....

An airbrush was at the top of the wishlist. Paintbrushes and spray cans didn't give me the control I craved. A very good friend from Hong Kong (SS-74: may SARS never get through your hairy thick hide) took care of that. So now I make sure that my paint jobs are as accurate as possible. Then I got a kit that had PE in the box....

Luckily (or unluckily), I live in a country that has more corrupt politicians than PE sheets. This means I have to purchase my PE from abroad. I don't have a Visa or a Mastercard so I'm safe, for now. Then I bought my first kit that came with an interior....

Now extensive research controls what I purchase. Criteria: 1. Must have interior, 2. Indy link tracks as much as possible, 3. PE sheet must be available locally, etc, etc.

Do I get anything finished? No. I have to get out of this rut and go back to having fun #:-)

PS: I'm not an advanced modeler yet.
 _GOTOTOP