_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
uk shops
sarge
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 130 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 09:22 PM UTC
hi all ,i,ve just returned to the hobby and i,m really enjoying it but here in the northwest of the uk there seems to be a distinct lack of good model shops , does any one know of any good shops in the northwest (manchester/liverpool) areas or can you reccomend any good internet shops thanks in advance guys
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 09:43 PM UTC
One of the best UK based internet/mail order outlets is Hannants, they carry a vast range of plastic/resin/vac-form kits, decals and after market accessories http://www.hannants.co.uk/
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 10:33 PM UTC
:-) Geoff is right Hannants is the most well known and certainly has a vast range where you should be able to get anything you want. I personally don't go in for internet or postal buying, although I'm starting to come around. I usually get my supplies at the IPMS Nationals, Scale Modelworld, at the Telford exhibition centre in November.
There are other places to consider; MR & ME's World of Models www.mrme.biz
and ED Models of Birmingham (I can't find there web site at the moment doh! but I will keep looking and post it later) Andrew Dealy is very friendly and helpful. Its fom ED that I get modt of my stuff at Telford. Good model (Hobby) shops are few and far between, in the UK.
Mal
EDIT: ED Models is www.airwaves.org.uk Airwaves is their own range of accessories.
Milhouse
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 11:53 PM UTC
I've used Net Model Shop a few times http://www.netmodelshop.com/, they don't have a huge amount of stock, but there's plenty of Tamiya, Academy etc kits. They ship fast as well, two or three days and you've got your stuff. Hannants have a huge catalogue, but you can wait two weeks for your order. Happy hunting! Nick
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 324 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 06:24 AM UTC
hi at the top end of bold street on the right hand side going up the hill there is a very good model shop . cheers ian
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 06:34 AM UTC
Good post, I have to travel into central london for my stuff or by post.my favourites are Hannants for kits or Historex for verlinden and odds and ends,and they are fast replying. I think its shameful the demise of model shops in the U.K.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 07:58 AM UTC
I agree that it is a shame that many model shops have gone. The only one in my town has just recently closed down. I think the prices of models could be the problem. Apart from airfix which seem to be reasonable, most of the better manufacturer's kits seem very expensive compared to the prices outside the EU.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 06:02 AM UTC
you could also try LSA models www.lsamodels.fsnet.co.uk (i think). the chaps there are extremely helpful.I was looking for a Cromwell models warrior update kit and after repeated fone calls and emails to Cromwell i tried them.They said we've got one somewhere but can't find it right now,we'll call you when we do.Sure enough they called and said we've found it.They also stock warriors figures etc etc.
HTH Peter
morten1993
Visit this Community
Ireland
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 09:12 AM UTC
you could try modelzone at 209 deansgate, manchester 3. I regularly use the modelzone in holborn london. Have had plenty of bargains there. (revell 1/32 tornado £11.99, revell junkers 52 1/48 £12.99 to name a few).

They dont go in for aftermarket sets but they always have a good range of kits and books and they also do mailorder.
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
entire network: 652 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 09:59 PM UTC
Here is a list of Aircraft and Armour Model shops in the UK.

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.burrows3/index1.htm" TARGET="_blank">F&F Models Soveriegn 2000 UK Scalelink
http://www.pdi-model-supplies.com/contact.php" TARGET="_blank">PDI Models
Aeroclub
ED Models
Flightpath models
Hannants
Aviation Workshop

Hope this helps you out.

Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 142 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:02 AM UTC
Following on from Mortens post I had a 'very' quick look in modelzone on deansgate a couple of months back and IMO they were very well stocked up in all areas. Dont bother with the model shop in the trafford centre (sorry cant recall the name).
 _GOTOTOP