_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Rushing at the end?
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 111 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 02:30 PM UTC
Do y'all find yourselves rushing when you are nearing the end of a model? I always do this. I start off taking my own sweet time then about half way thru I start to rush and by the end I am trying to finish it as if I am in a race or something. I am trying to train myself to slow down thru the who process. Just wondering if any of you are like that.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 02:42 PM UTC
You aren't alone. I used to be awful when it came to doing this, now I'm only a little bad. I think it's the thrill of seeing your model completed as well as the speculation of what the next one will bring.
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 232 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 02:47 PM UTC
Ya, esspecially when I dont have any other models to distract me.
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 04:42 PM UTC
I dont find I rush at the end but when I start out there are lots of things to do, sub assemblies to work on, and the hard jobs get left. then when the model is nearly finished there are only hard jobs to do! Then it gets frustrating 'cos I want to get finished but I am having to solve detailing/scratchbuilding problems. I have the discipline to never start a model until the current one is finished but this also means that there is no escaping the difficult jobs cos I dont have other models to work on.

Regards Dave
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 04:48 PM UTC
I tend to go the opposite way. I start a new kit like a bull at a gate. Then as it gets towards the end I always seem to lose interest. Either it isn't looking as good as I'd hoped, or I've been inspired to do a totally new project. (I'm a bit of a grasshopper, jumping from one project to another seemingly at random). The number of part built kits I've got is just growing and looking at them they are all 75% or more completed.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 10:14 PM UTC
:-) HeHeHe, laughing and smiling quietly to myself. Been there done that. But although I would start to rush near the end I used to never actually finish much. Since joining the big A though I have actually finished 15 models, 3 started from scratch for group builds. The rest were incomplete and in some cases had been sitting waiting for years. I did find myself rushing to complete them but it was sort of a planned rush :-) if you see what I mean. I was wanting to get pics onto the Rivet Review Board, in some cases just finding the remaining pieces was difficult. I have found what tends to frustrate me at the finish is that I still need to paint things. Things that I have had plenty of time to paint while the model has been in progress, but for some reason I never got round to :-)
Mal
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 12:29 AM UTC
I sometimes do and it could be for various reasons, deadline, next project, frustration to get it done and off the bench.
Honestly, I try to fight the feeling. To many times for me it has led to skipping a step, forgetting something, whatever. Which leads to more time
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:25 AM UTC
Can't tell you how many figs I've brought to my figure club shows or meeting which are still drying...
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I dont find I rush at the end but when I start out there are lots of things to do, sub assemblies to work on, and the hard jobs get left. then when the model is nearly finished there are only hard jobs to do! Then it gets frustrating......

This would sum me up as well. At the start I will take extra care to get these difficult jobs done right, but nearer the end ..... I have been known to take shortcuts. This is something I am trying to avoid. I think it might be better to move to another subject for a while and then get the push I need to finish properly. Sounds good in theory but ....................!
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:34 AM UTC
Fight the urge... rushing will show.
I'll sometimes start on my next project or do a really samll project near the end just to break up the tedious stuff. And I always go back more focused after taking just a day or to do a little bit on something else.

Nate
Wisc. USA
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:45 AM UTC
I tend to go at a careful clip at the start and try to get a clean build. then in the middle I speed up a bit. and towards the end I get excited about finishing a model but I tend to slow down a bit because i'm still new and want to get things just so. I almost never make something that looks just like the directions say (for armor anyways) I always try to add a extra bit or two to make it mine.

to distract myself from rushing to much and maybe making a painting or detailing mistake I will start getting ready for my next project or work on something else.

scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 04:10 AM UTC
I like to scratchbuild as much detail as possible and usually I don't rush in that phase because it takes a lot of time. Once I'm done with details I go even slower to check if there's more to do. I prefer construction to paint so I don't rush when I have to finish a model. In the end I never rush, may be because it's not in my character too...
Ciao
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 04:19 AM UTC
Fabio, after seeing your M47 I know you do not rush... the work in the PE alone would have driven me nots!! I went through my partials this weekend and have a disturbing pile of about 10 partially completed things... from an M10 Tank Destroyer to a Grumman Goose to a Fletcher class desstroyer. 2 of them involve a LOT of PE and some just a little, but I am going to plan to get as many done over my school break as possible.

I find that I get bogged down in the little things, like antenna mounts, etc... but get impatient when I can't seem to finish a project.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 04:27 AM UTC
I do the opposite way. I build the model 30% and I lose interest in it. It would be a month or more before I gain interest on it again. I have here a model that is almost 2 years old, still in the box and never moved a sprue. The kit was interesting but I am very lazy to do it.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 04:53 AM UTC
I would say my habits would show as a reverse bell curve. I start out fast, then hit a plateau where I slow to a crawl, then I get disgusted with myself and speed up again. One area I'm really trying to work on is to go at a more even pace. Of course if it's 'work' it's no longer a hobby so I'm not going to kill myself over this.
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 05:37 AM UTC
I find that I pass through three distinct phases: Basic construction (everything that goes on before the overall painting of the model); Prinicipal painting (pre- and post-shading, main colors, everything that takes an airbrush); and Detailing (everything after the airbrushing, like washes, decals, many small exterior parts).

I usually move deliberately but consistently through the first phase, slowing at the end from growing dread of the upcomming hassle of airbrushing. I often just stop working on a model for a week or two before I finally paint the darn thing. Finally, I bite the bullet and spend 4 hours painting (all but 30 minutes of which is actually cleaning the #$%^&* airbrush). After that, I'm over the hump and probably do rush a bit out of exuberance.
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 05:54 AM UTC
I am with you Sladog. But, I manage to pull myself together, by taking a break, or getting out for a smoke. Anyway, your will has to be stronger than the "need" to rush a model and so many hours of hard work.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 12:45 PM UTC
I am having this problem right now. I want to hurry up and finish my 110, and start my already started Mosquito, or maybe my JU-52. I don't know, I do know that I wish I was finished!

~Chip
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 07:35 PM UTC
I find I generally put the kit down walk away and do something else when I do come back, I do generally rush it. I will say though, I just worked on the Arizona 350 for the group build and worked steady through to completion. Am presently doing the same on my Sheridan for that group build. Thanks Armorama for helping me regain my focus.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 11:27 PM UTC
I tended to rush things, but I have slowed it down ( a bit)... mainly due to the beautifull models made and shown by many of you... I have started to realize that rushjobs will not get me a similar result.

Due to a few tips, among them pre-planning construction, my construction speed has slowed down...What i try to do is do a few (little) things in between studying. This has actually helped both my studie-results, and so far my construction of the models (which so far is much cleaner and overall better then to what I was used to do)... I will also need to find/create some space to put my models. And some time to build a spray-booth... which provides for a nice break between building... The only construction jobs I have rushed were parts of the Academy Stug IV, and the motorcycle of theTamiya orderly set.
Also, rushing while using a Dremel Toll will provide a lot of damage to your model... and faulty contruction

Next week I have a holiday coming up... so this should provide a lot of time to spend on painting figures...
 _GOTOTOP