_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Need help with decals
nitrocomplex
Visit this Community
APO, United States
entire network: 349 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 06:46 PM UTC
Ok i have always had trouble with decals "silvering" some times they do, some times they don't. I would color coat then brush on clear top coat just where the decal would be then another layer of clear then dullcoat ok this stopped the silvering dead but left me with some times "shiny" spots where the decals we're so i stopped the second layer of clear coat but still run into a problem with "shiney" spots where the decals are. so now i am working on a blackhawk and i want it to look real nice i started by doing claer top spot painting just where the decal was going to be but i stopped after 4 decals seeing this was going to leave wavey spots around the decals so i sprayed the whole thing in clear coat i have read this is a good and old way of doing decals so i just started doing the decals again and i am using micro-sol for the decals and no shock "silvering" of the decals why? and what can i do to make the decals lay down clear with out silvering just what am i doing wrong that so many other people get right?
i really want this blackhawk to look really nice but i feel it may already be to late because of the decals.
nitrocomplex
Visit this Community
APO, United States
entire network: 349 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 06:56 PM UTC
Should i be using a clear top coat or a gloss top coat?

if it is gloss coat what is the best rattle brand can to buy?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:35 PM UTC
One other step that I do is cut off the excess non-colored film. This reduces the potential silvering material.

I use microsol microset too this helps, I also put down a gloss coat (any type rattle or airbrush) then lay down the decals, then settle them down over a few days and then finally put a dull coat over it all.
 _GOTOTOP