_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Questions about Mr. Surfacer
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 07:33 AM UTC
I would like to know about this Mr.Surfacer. What is it used for? What is it exactly? Do you brush it on? and last but not least......who is this Mr. Surfacer?? LOL!
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 394 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 02:39 AM UTC
hi there,

generally, mr surfacer is used to create texture on the AFV. For example, most of the real modern tanks do have that, but the model kits produced generally was moulded without that detail. What can be done is to apply Mr surfacer. The best application mode would be through air brush, not advisable to be done manually, as it is extremely difficult to obtain an even finish.

Take a look at Vodnik's website (Bradley's), he provided the best reference.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/382

Cheers!
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 02:44 AM UTC
Mr. Surfacer can also be applied by brush to fill in join lines, small gaps, etc... on aircraft models (or any other model for that matter). You can see this technique used here Jean-Luc's Ki-45

I haven't tried it yet myself for either armor texturing or seam filling, but having just picked some up at a local hobby store, I will try it out soon.

As to who Mr. Surfacer is, I think he must be Mr. Color's brother or something.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 02:53 AM UTC
I use it to add textures once in a while. I do use it all the time on DML figures to fill the minor seams in the arm and leg joints. You can paint it in and let it dry and you don't need to sand like you would with putty. Brush it on. I use lacquer thinner to clean the brushes. Did not have any like cleaning the brush with turpentine.

HTH,
Shaun
 _GOTOTOP